flue open or closed

C

chefbo

do I keep the tp flue on the stack open or closed? does it have anything to do with controlling th etemp. I figured the dampners do that .

on my u.d.s i keep the stack open and adjust it with my dampners on the bottom. right now im 7 hrs into a cook. and the thing stayed at 225 all night.

Leave your flue 100% open, use your inlet damper if you need to control temp adjustments.

Granted, I'm not using a UDS or a real smoker, but I adjust both depending on how hot I want the fire, and how much smoke I want to trap in the grill/que.

Granted, I'm not using a UDS or a real smoker, but I adjust both depending on how hot I want the fire, and how much smoke I want to trap in the grill/que.

Trapped smoke makes for some nasty Q.

If your asking the question, then leave the exhaust stack wide open at all times. As you get more experience, there are tricks to pit control you will pick up where you might fiddle with the exhaust some...

A flue is the stack that vents the smoke or heat. I bet your referring to a Damper or a Valve or cover over the flue.

I will assume the damper settings are what you are talking about.

Dampers are for starving oxygen during a grease fire

They are also good for stopping rain when your not using your pit.

There is an exception... the Brazos has two stacks. I was smoking jerky (about two f350 Pick up truck bed size surface area portions of it) and I could not keep the fire low enough. The firebox leaks like a byatch and I needed a cold smoke. I closed off one damper. The fire I made was little bitty and really the sun put even more heat on the pit than the fire I think. But it kept leaking out the heat from the huge stacks. Worked fine and in balance after i closed one vent.

I agree with bubba and it only takes a short time out of a long cook to infuse that bitter bad taste into meat.

On all my smokers the ehaust is always left wide open.

Trapped smoke makes for some nasty Q.

thanks for the tips. I opened them full and got great product of both brisket and butts. 18 lbs of brisket one lb left and noot even a tablespoon of butts.feed about 40 people and for my first run at this much meat I think I did pretty good . even my sauces were a hit. Hope everyones was as great as ours was. thanks again!

Back