Smoked chicken at high temps - Pron inside

Saiko

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
The Mission: Smoked chicken flavor, but with a crispy skin and a char like grilled chicken. Some firsts for me:
1) First time using high temps, going to hold at around 300 degrees.
2) Using WSM sand mod for first time. Makes for stable temps, but man it took a long time to get up there, guess it takes a lot of energy to heat up all that sand. Hit 225 pretty quick, but 300 took a while. For low and slow cooks, I think I am really going to like it.
3) First time saucing on the grates. I usually just hit everything with a glaze after I pull it, but this time I am going to try to get a little char on the sauce.

The Rub: Used my "kitchen sink" rub: 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup seasoned salt, 1/4 cup garlic salt, 1/4 cup celery salt, 1/4 cup onion salt, 1/2 cup paprika, 1/4 cup chili powder, 2 TBSP black pepper, 1 TBSP lemon pepper, 2 tsp rubbed sage, 1 tsp dry mustard, 1 tsp thyme, 1 tsp cayenne.
IMG_0001.jpg

WSM Fuel: RO lump and apple chunks.
IMG_0003.jpg

My Fuel: Avery 15 Anniversary Ale.
IMG_0004.jpg

The Sauce: I don't think I've ever made the same sauce twice. Don't know what I call this, but it tastes pretty good. Added the honey as an after-thought when I thought it was missing something: 2 cups plus 2 TBSP ketchup, 3/4 cup water, 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 3 TBSP yellow mustard, 1 TBSP onion powder, 1 TBSP garlic powder, 1/2 tsp cayenne, 1 TBSP chili powder, 1 TBSP paprika, 1 TBSP Worcestershire sauce, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 2 TBSP honey.
IMG_0006.jpg

Bottom Rack:
IMG_0005.jpg

The Final Bounty: Little more char than I wanted, but that happens some times. I THOUGHT I sauced em on the grates when the thigh temp hit 175, that way the sugar and the honey in the sauce wouldn't have time to burn. However, after I sauced I check a couple of other thighs and they were only 160. Lesson learned: Next time check a few more thighs for temp before saucing. Would have been perfect if I had.
Tastes damn good though. Mission accomplished though, got the skin and char I wanted, along with a nice smokey chicken flavor. Thanks go to SoEzzy and a few other Brethren for the tips on high temp smoking.
IMG_0009.jpg

Bonus shots - Spring time in Georgia means goldfinches and hummingbirds at the feeders:
hb01a.jpg

hb01b.jpg

hb02.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job, Saiko. I did chicken drummies for lunch. I started at around 250° and kicked the temp up when they hit around 160°. Didn't get the skin that I wanted. I'll try it this way next time.

Nice job, Saiko. I did chicken drummies for lunch. I started at around 250° and kicked the temp up when they hit around 160°. Didn't get the skin that I wanted. I'll try it this way next time.

Yeah, without a doubt I think 300 is the way to go with chicken. You still get plenty of smoke, but you get the crispy skin also. Had a dagger in the heart moment with the wifey though, she said.."I like it but...I like your grilled chicken better". Keep in mind, my quickey grilled chicken is on a gasser, with a little rub, some soaked mesquite chips and store bought sauce. This smoked chicken had so much more flavor, but everybody has different tastes.

Last edited:
Nice! Let's not see that hummingbird on the smoker anytime soon...

Very nice - good grub and a little mother nature too.

Nice! Let's not see that hummingbird on the smoker anytime soon...
I was wondering who was gonna mention something like that...

I actually tried that. Here is a couple of hummingbird drummies I smoked for about 30 min at 225 on hickory. I think I should have dropped the cooking time though, they came out a little dry with too much bark.

IMG_0011.jpg

I actually tried that. Here is a couple of hummingbird drummies I smoked for about 30 min at 225 on hickory. I think I should have dropped the cooking time though, they came out a little dry with too much bark.

IMG_0011.jpg
That looks like the dinner I got at the fancy restaurant I took my wife to on our last anniversary. It was tasty, but at $100 per plate, I thought it was a bit on the high side.

good looking grub!! I bet those birds are over there thinking how glad they are they are not on the menu!

2) Using WSM sand mod for first time. Makes for stable temps, but man it took a long time to get up there, guess it takes a lot of energy to heat up all that sand. Hit 225 pretty quick, but 300 took a while. For low and slow cooks, I think I am really going to like it.

For a quick higher-temp cook, I'd skip the sand and just foil up the pan. Or if I used it, I'd use only maybe a quart.
Personally, I use ceramic briquettes, and I use only a few for high-temp cooks, more for low long cooks.

There are some who advocate going pan-less for chicken parts like this, though I haven't tried it. If I did, I'd start with cooking on the top grate only to play it safe. Pan-less seems to work well for those UDS-er's.

That chicken looks really tasty. Thanks for sharing.

how were the finches and hummingbirds? you know you did them :wink:

Back