• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Sausage

Smoothsmoke

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I make my own sausage a lot. However I've never smoked any, just cooked them on the cast iron pan. If I plan on smoking sausage, do I need to add a cure?

If you're going to hot smoke them (cook them) you don't need a cure.. if you cold smoke them you need to add cure.

Depends on what you mean by smoking them. If you are smoking them right away above say 220* in order to fully cook them and then eat them, then no cure is needed.

If you are smoking them at very low temps in order to cure them, then yes a Cure #1 is needed.

I'm just starting my sausage adventures. I'm using this book, and it is really excellent. Highly recommended.
Amazon.com: Great Sausage Recipes & Meat Curing: 4th Edition (9780025668607): Rytek Kutas, Ben Kutas: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61aCX2oWywL.@@AMEPARAM@@61aCX2oWywL

Not if you are smoking them hot....200* or so. If you are smoking at lower temps and gradually raising the temp, then yes. I smoke (cured sausage) at 130 and then raise the temp gradually. I rarely go over 170. I pull at 152 for a "fully cooked". I do sometimes pull at 130-140 with the intention of grilling them at later dates.

Thanks everyone, yeah hot smoking them is what I plan on doing. I never knew you could cold smoke them. Thanks a lot! :thumb:

Back