Cooking for small group

va_connoisseur

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Cooking for 20-25 people in my cigar club, 15 guys/10 gals. I was thinking four 6lb butts, 4 racks of spares, a tray of beans, cole slaw, and potato salad.

Too much? Too little? Just right? Thanks.

13 lbs raw butts - Two large ones
3 to 4 racks of spares
1 each half pan full of beans, slaw and potato salad

That will be plenty for 25

I'm no expert but I would prefer to cook 2 larger (9-10ish lb.) butts rather than 4 smaller ones if you can find them. I think the come out more moist. How many ribs do you think each person will eat. If an average rack has 12 bones x4 that's 48 bones. So you'll have a little less than two per person. If you think everyone will only eat 2 then you should be fine with 2 large butts, 4 racks and your 2 pans of sides. If it's me i'd make 5 or 6 racks because I always freak out about running out of food. Drives my wife nuts but keeps the people happy. Again i'm no expert.

I agree with the others on the butts and the sides. I kind of agree with fingerlickin on the ribs, but I always make too much food for the same reason he states. But ribs make good left overs!

Depends on your goal I guess if you plan on having plenty of ribs for everyone to eat the amount of ribs they wat you better figure 7 to 10 racks. But a 4oz sammie and 2 to 3 ribs is a nice meal. I don't doubt that if you cooked 10 rack it would all get eaten but you will end up with left over pulled pork but that ain't too bad either :)

Back