Urgent Brisket Tips?

D

Derek

Hi everyone,

I'm buying a brisket today from the butcher and I would like some tips about low & slow cooking in the the oven?

I'm going to either use a glaze, or a dry rub on it, Which would you prefer?

So any tips would be welcome.

"mods"

If there is a duplicate post about the brisket oven cooking feel free to remove this post, Thank you Derek.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just cook it in the oven as you would in the smoker sans smoke. Why anyone would want to is beyond me but hey, sometimes you just have to deal with the only options available so go for it. With a good rub and pulling it at the right time it should be tastey, just won't have the smoke flavor.

Hmmm.....put it in a pan on a rack, season with lawrys, rub that in realll good. Than use some of ur favorite bbq rub, i like wow up your cow or plowboys bovine bold. Than on top of all that id put on a heavy coat of dalmation rub(equal parts lemon pepper, large grain pepper, and kosher salt). Roast in the oven ON A RACK, at 300 til the probe slides in, meat should prob be at least 200 degrees, but wait til the probe just slides in like its going into butter. Havent cooked one in the oven, but if i did, thats how id do it.

Anyone that hopes to ever smoke Brisket one day or wakes up with the revelation that his Brisket sucks after years of making it should restart here. Read my thread about baking the brisket in the oven and follow to a "T" in order to get baseline knowledge on all a brisket can be. I would not vary the recipe either. You need to know how delicious tender and most this cut can be with little creative fanfare.

I'm not sure about cooking in the oven, I don't like to bake. However, there is a bunch of info for smoking brisket on here if you use the search tool.

I found this, it's a fine explaination on brisket...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9719&highlight=brisket
Thank you everyone for the tips and quick replies, I'll be heading out to the butchers soon, So wish me luck.

By the way King, I cannot use the search tool quite yet since I don't have enough posts..

I figured I'd chime in real quick for an easy fix. Rub some BBQ seasoning (I use Texjoy but that may not be available in your locale) into it real good, brush that bad boy down with French's Yellow Mustard, sprinkle more BBQ seasoning over the mustard and put it fat side up in the pan.

Thank you everyone for the tips and quick replies, I'll be heading out to the butchers soon, So wish me luck.

By the way King, I cannot use the search tool quite yet since I don't have enough posts..

I respectfully Object.

Though it is a wonderful thread you have there I must once again say, it will probably be your undoing. There is too much great information for the novice in there. It can TEMP you to the wrong path for your first brisket. Read it and refer to it on your NEXT brisket. Your first, should be done with my technique to start. I am a STRONG believer that one should start with a NON BBQ Brisket to get some baseline knowledge and appreciation of the cut FIRST before taking on more advanced efforts such as even SMOKING the meat.

I respectfully Object.

Though it is a wonderful thread you have there I must once again say, it will probably be your undoing. There is too much great information for the novice in there. It can TEMP you to the wrong path for your first brisket. Read it and refer to it on your NEXT brisket. Your first, should be done with my technique to start. I am a STRONG believer that one should start with a NON BBQ Brisket to get some baseline knowledge and appreciation of the cut FIRST before taking on more advanced efforts such as even SMOKING the meat.
I will heed your advice wisely and try not to tread on your toes, but the only way to learn is to do, and the butcher took me threw an oven process on paper and showing me the ropes tonight with low and slow...

So I will be putting a dry rub on her and cook at 195 for 8 hours, but the rub will marinade in the fridge over night..

I will heed your advice wisely and try not to tread on your toes, but the only way to learn is to do, and the butcher took me threw an oven process on paper and showing me the ropes tonight with low and slow...

So I will be putting a dry rub on her and cook at 195 for 8 hours, but the rub will marinade in the fridge over night..

So, why are you asking us for tips then?

Interesting approach. Just how many briskets has this butcher cooked? Not trying to sound like a jerk, but that is about the worst brisket advice I've ever heard.

Interesting approach. Just how many briskets has this butcher cooked? Not trying to sound like a jerk, but that is about the worst brisket advice I've ever heard.

I totally agree. If you take barbefunkoramaque advise, you will have a great brisket and your guest will be impressed. If you don't understand cooking brisket, please do this first cook. You will be very glad you did. Trust us brother!

I think 195 is too low in oven 275-300 til 195 in flat. What did the brisket weigh?

Derek, you will end up with a decent brisket roast if you do it the way your butcher has suggested. It will not be great though. Although I also suggest brisket method suggested by Fweck, here is a different point of view.

1. Slow cooking a brisket in an electric oven (you did not say what kind of oven) will result in a very dry environment that the brisket cooks in. The risk is that the meat will develop a dry surface, brisket can get a splintery texture this way. In a gas oven, it will not develop the proper bark.
2. In most processes, brisket is cooked at least part of the time in a moist environment, this includes smoking in fact. You typical oven vents in a manner that this is not achievable without foiling or braising. This is why so many non-bbq processes add moisture in the cooking process. I suggest whatever method you use, consider using a water pan, foiling or other means for increasing the moisture in the oven.
3. I do not recommend using dry rubs in an indoor oven, as they can cause smoking, not good smoking, indoors. Never good.
4. If the purpose of this brisket cook is to produce a good brisket for dinner, proceed as your butcher described. If you want to learn something about what most of us consider to be good brisket, you might at least take a careful look at that Barbefunkoramaque link and get an understanding of one way people have learned to cook.
5. If you want another option, simplify, rub with garlic, kosher salt, medium grained pepper and Mrs, Dash Lemon Pepper, then toss in the oven, oven pan filled half full of water on the bottom, brisket on a rack above, and let her rip at 325F for 4 to 5 hours. Probe at 4 hours and keep checking every 30 minutes until a thermometer probe goes in real easy.

He said quite a few, and he was telling me to leave the fat on the bottom of the brisket alone since it holds most flavor.

I totally agree. If you take barbefunkoramaque advise, you will have a great brisket and your guest will be impressed. If you don't understand cooking brisket, please do this first cook. You will be very glad you did. Trust us brother!
Thank you Meat Burner, I will see what I can do with the limited tools I have for cooking, I really want to do it on my electric smoker but I still have snow around the house.

I think 195 is too low in oven 275-300 til 195 in flat. What did the brisket weigh?
I'm not sure, It was pretty big, I can tell you tomorrow morning..

Derek, you will end up with a decent brisket roast if you do it the way your butcher has suggested. It will not be great though. Although I also suggest brisket method suggested by Fweck, here is a different point of view.

5. If you want another option, simplify, rub with garlic, kosher salt, medium grained pepper and Mrs, Dash Lemon Pepper, then toss in the oven, oven pan filled half full of water on the bottom, brisket on a rack above, and let her rip at 325F for 4 to 5 hours. Probe at 4 hours and keep checking every 30 minutes until a thermometer probe goes in real easy
Can I still use number 5 that you suggested with the salt and misses dashes? ( we have lemon-dill weed spice instead?

Um, I would think dill would be bad on brisket. Just go with the first three and avoid the dill. You really only need salt and pepper. I would trim some of the fat, at least to 1/8" at most, it gets real greasy with a lot of fat left on. 1/8" of fat is good.

I got a recipe for passover grape jelly brisket somewhere too, it was surprisingly good.

I'm sure this is open for debate however, I'm of the strong belief that the proper position of the brisket is fat cap up. It is a simple matter of chemistry. The fat slowly melts down into the meat, which is slowly going through a chemical breakdown. Remember that Brisket is one of (if not) the toughest cut of meet and requires long cooking times because the fibrous tissue must go through a chemical break down.

Anyway, put the fat on bottom and it will melt away into your drip pan...it will not hold in moisture.

Last edited:
Back