• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

pork butt advise and opinions

D

dudz

I am doing two 7 lb butts tomorow on my uds. Any tips on rub, cooking time and temp, and to foil or to not foil. Also should i cut off fat cap or leave it ? Any opinions

Just my opinion...

Rub: Yardbird Rub
Cooking time: Until it's done
Temp: 225 degrees
No Foil
Leave the fat cap on and down.

I agree with my esteemed colleague, but allow me to amplify a bit :rolleyes:

Just my opinion...

Rub: Yardbird Rub - If you don't have any there are several good recipes for rubs on the forum. There is a Google search box at the bottom of the page that searches only this site.

Cooking time: Until it's done - at 225, plan on 90 minutes per pound, but that is just a guideline. It is done when your probe goes in like it is going into warm butter. This may be at 185 or not until 205 internal temp. Allow yourself plenty of time. You can hold it in a dry wooler with clean newspaper or towels for insulation for hours.

Temp: 225 degrees - This is a good starting point, but butts are very forgiving so don't panic if the temp goes higher. Of course, the cook time will be shorter at lower temps.

No Foil - unless you need to speed up the cook. Then you can foil with some apple juice and it will finish faster.

Leave the fat cap on and down - Trim off any hard fat and any areas that are very thick, otherwise i agree.

all helpful..thanks...should i at least trim some fat off and also wont I not get bark if the fat cap is on ?

if you run your drum with any kind of heat diffuser, I find it best to trim the fat cap.

just my $.02

I do use a diffuser...any good reason behind that ...also why cant i just cut it off ?

I do use a diffuser...any good reason behind that ...also why cant i just cut it off ?

I just started using a diffuser plate in my UDS. I just use a clay pot plate thing from my wifes plant soaked in liquid. It makes a more even temp in your UDS. Have you noticed a temp swing from the center to the edge? you can cut it off but if you do not have a diffuser plate the fat cap acts as a shield to protect the meat wile cooking. It will also melt and drip into the fire adding flavor to the meat.

I will keep it on for flavor but trim outside fat on the top and sides...any good rub recpies that I can make at home (Bored and nothing to do)?

I use a simple rub sometimes, just salt pepper, dried orange peel and chile powder, equal parts of the first two, and half to quarter parts of the second two

Back