Snowshoe Grilling Challenge, Abington MA. March 29, 2008- NOW a charity event

L

lunchlady

Hey everyone,
As you may or may not know, Gary and I run the Snowshoe Grilling Challenge in Abington MA. March 29th will be the 15th Annual Snowshoe. I believe it is the longest running NEBS event that is still in existence.

This year we have evolved the Snowshoe into a charity event, benefitting the Abington St. Vincent de Paul Food Bank. We are hoping to do something similiar to the Brethren baskets that everyone so generously donated to Kooker's Kare raffle for the KCBS banquet. If you have a product that you would like to donate for our raffle baskets, please PM me. I am in the process of gathering additional items from local businesses for these raffles too.

Also, I took a suggestion about ice cream and am now working to get a sundae bar together as well. For a donation of a few items for the Food Bank, you will be able to make your own sundae!
How good is that!
This is our way of trying to get the public more involved, and assisting a great organization in feeding hungry families.

I GREATLY appreciate any help with this...
....this organizing stuff is hard work!
Well worth it though, well worth it.

Thanks !!!

p.s. anyone coming from 'far out' SHOULD take advantage of the KCBS hotel discount... there is a Comfort Inn right down the street!

*moderator - I thought this should go in competition... feel free to move it if needed.

Michelle,

where do we get info on the contest for cooking as well as judging?

can you please email me the comfort inn stuff?

yup, I guess we qualify as far out as in next planet over...

Hey everyone,
As you may or may not know, Gary and I run the Snowshoe Grilling Challenge in Abington MA. March 29th will be the 15th Annual Snowshoe. I believe it is the longest running NEBS event that is still in existence.

This year we have evolved the Snowshoe into a charity event, benefitting the Abington St. Vincent de Paul Food Bank. We are hoping to do something similiar to the Brethren baskets that everyone so generously donated to Kooker's Kare raffle for the KCBS banquet. If you have a product that you would like to donate for our raffle baskets, please PM me. I am in the process of gathering additional items from local businesses for these raffles too.

Also, I took a suggestion about ice cream and am now working to get a sundae bar together as well. For a donation of a few items for the Food Bank, you will be able to make your own sundae!
How good is that!
This is our way of trying to get the public more involved, and assisting a great organization in feeding hungry families.

I GREATLY appreciate any help with this...
....this organizing stuff is hard work!
Well worth it though, well worth it.

Thanks !!!

p.s. anyone coming from 'far out' SHOULD take advantage of the KCBS hotel discount... there is a Comfort Inn right down the street!

*moderator - I thought this should go in competition... feel free to move it if needed.

So, who's in for this one? Wildwood BBQ will be there.....

Cool Matt, see you there

Transformer BBQ
Smoke'em if ya Gott'em
Lakeside Smokers
Q Haven
Purple Turtle
Feeding Friendz
Que Ball
Uncle Jed
Boneyard Smokers
I Que
I Smell Smoke!!!
Yabba Dabba Que
Dr. Frank N' Swine
Big Boned BBQ
Dirty Dick & The Legless Wonders
Porkaholics
Pokey Smokers
Hampton Smokers

Michelle,

Great job again! Your charity work through NEBS makes me so proud to be a member.
You can count on some stuff from Lakeside. Do you want people to mail stuff to you before hand or bring it down on the day of the Snowshoe?

Mike

I believe they are one in the same.

Any donations can be brought to the event, the St. Vincent de Paul truck should be on hand that day.

New website as well... www.snowshoegrilling.org how cool is that?!?!

I will update everyone on what the Food Bank is really in need of in the next coupla days...

Thanks to everyone who is helping with this!
And, anyone who wants to donate rubs or sauces, just PM or e-mail me..

Cool website. Are the rules up somewhere?, just went to check what the garnish rules are and couldnt fintd it.

I believe they are one in the same.

Any donations can be brought to the event, the St. Vincent de Paul truck should be on hand that day.

New website as well... www.snowshoegrilling.org how cool is that?!?!

I will update everyone on what the Food Bank is really in need of in the next coupla days...

Thanks to everyone who is helping with this!
And, anyone who wants to donate rubs or sauces, just PM or e-mail me..

Cool website. Are the rules up somewhere?, just went to check what the garnish rules are and couldnt fintd it.

The categories are fish (filet or steak), sausage fatty, beef of any kind, and vegetable.
The sausage fatty/fatties and beef must be in six or more identifiable portions.
The fish and vegetable may be entered whole, please provide enough for the 6 judges. Garnish is as follows.

Turn in times:
Fish (filet or steak) - 12:00 KCBS rules & garnish
This means no shellfish or crustaceans, fish only.

Sausage Fatty* - 12:30 KCBS rules & garnish
STUFFING IS ALLOWED – any kind you want.

Beef (of any kind) - 1:00 KCBS rules & garnish

Vegetable** -1:30 OPEN GARNISH**
ONLY VEGETABLES - no meat, poultry, fish or crustaceans in the box.
**Even though the vegetable category is open garnish, we will not be allowing meat,
poultry, crustaceans, or fish of any kind in the box.
No meat…none. This is a “VEGETABLE” category.

*A “fatty” is basically a sausage roll without a casing (think Jimmy Dean). It is made of ground meat
and may be either stuffed with other ingredients, or have ingredients mixed throughout. It can be
pre-seasoned. It may not be pre-cooked or contain pre-cooked ingredients.
No skewers or toothpicks !

http://www.nebs.org/images/stories/ContestApplications/snowshoe2008.pdf

This will probably get moved to woodpile or something but I'll post it here anyway. I'm looking forward to Snowshoe this weekend ! The first thing I'm gonna do when I get there is order 2 Bloody Mary's from the grumpy Bar tender !! Wooo Hoooo !

GC Dirty Dick and The Legless Wonders
RGC Dr. Frank’NSwine

Fish

1 Boneyard BBQ
2 Poky Smokers
3 Dr. Frank’ NSwine
4 Feeding FriendZ
5 I Smell Smoke!!!

Sausage Faty

1 Que Ball
2 I Smell Smoke!!!
3 Lakeside Smokers
4 Dirty Dick and The Legless Wonders
5 Boneyard BBQ

Beef

1 Dirty Dick and The Legless Wonders
2 Transformer BBQ
3 Yabba Dabba Que
4 I Que
5 Porkahlics

Vegetable

1 Yabba Dabba Que
2 Uncle Jed’s BBQ
3 Dr. Frank’ NSwine
4 Feeding FriendZ
5 Purple Turtle

What a great time. The folks from New England are just fantastic hosts. Except for one dq'd entry, the day couldn't have been better. It was an awesome contest for my first time. Congrats to Dirty Dick, Dr. Frank and Tammy and everyone else who got called. Our tuna came in something like 6th, and the stuffed mushroom slider was 8th. Our fattie came in 14th. Beef....well......:oops:

It was so nice to meet some folks for the first time like Mike from Lakeside Smokers, who were awesome neighbors, and it had been too long since I'd seen the Lunchmeat crew, the Purple Turtles, Ted from Q-Haven, Steve (YankeeBBQ) and Ray from the Anchormen who I didn't get to talk to. Gary, from Pigtrip took a whole bunch of pictures, too. I hope they aren't too incriminating. :eek:

I think I might have got the bug, now.....

What a great time. The folks from New England are just fantastic hosts. Except for one dq'd entry, the day couldn't have been better. It was an awesome contest for my first time. Congrats to Dirty Dick, Dr. Frank and Tammy and everyone else who got called. Our tuna came in something like 6th, and the stuffed mushroom slider was 8th. Our fattie came in 14th. Beef....well......:oops:

It was so nice to meet some folks for the first time like Mike from Lakeside Smokers, who were awesome neighbors, and it had been too long since I'd seen the Lunchmeat crew, the Purple Turtles, Ted from Q-Haven, Steve (YankeeBBQ) and Ray from the Anchormen who I didn't get to talk to. Gary, from Pigtrip took a whole bunch of pictures, too. I hope they aren't too incriminating. :eek:

I think I might have got the bug, now.....

It was great seeing you and Lou out competing. I hope you guys get a chance to do it again soon. Don't let that little DQ discourage you. Just start obsessing about the time like I do. Your teammates will call you a PIA but it's worth it.

I think he got caught up reading the newspapers from the day after the superbowl...

Nice to meet you Matt, hopefully we see you guys out there more often... good luck with opening.
-Brendan

Wanted to wrap up the Snowshoe... pics and results will be up on the Snowshoe website in the next coupla days... still recovering a tad...

GRAND CHAMPS - Dirty Dick and the Legless Wonders
(with special guest Robbie Richter! Awesome to see him again!)

Reserve Grand Champs - Dr. Frank N Swine Go Tami... Go Tami...!

The field of competitors was INSANE... not one team got called more than twice, and I don't think that you could guess who was gonna take it until Gary called 'em out.
Congrats to all, I hope you had fun.

I was absolutely thrilled to see that, at the end of the day, we had raised over $600 (it was actually closer to $700) dollars for the Food Pantry! I was told that they can take that money, go to the Greater Boston Food Bank, and each dollar they spend there wil get them TEN dollars worth of food!!! So, that's over $6000 if they spend it all in one place. FANTASTIC!!!

I am thankful and SO very proud to be a part of this great big family. All givers, every one of ya!
Thank you SO much to everyone who donated items to the Food Pantry, bought a raffle ticket, or donated an item for the baskets or for the teeny tiny swag bags!

Any suggestions for next year ?? ...

next up... Pork In The Park.... yee-HA!

Any suggestions for next year ?? ...

Actually, No. You guys do a great job. Perfect grilling event to help kick the season off.

On second thought, one suggestion. Get new judges. They have hated my food the last two years :wink:

Someone always gets DQ'd at snowshoe. I've been there, done that. Hope to see you guys out competing soon.

What a great time. The folks from New England are just fantastic hosts. Except for one dq'd entry, the day couldn't have been better.

Back