• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Wet or Dry?

N

northernrescue3321

So looking around some of these threads it seems that most people are smoking dry. I have a WSM that I got last summer. Before that I was smoking on my propane grill that I riged with water pans and chips. I had great success with that and made some killer food on it but wanted to be more traditional. With that said I went and bought the WSM,and kept things the same, and filled the water pan in it for my smokes. Now after not using it for a few months (way to busy with work school and work) Im getting ready to start up again and this Friday will be my first smoke of the summer (pastrami). So after all that the million dollar question, should I use water, keep it dry, or is it a preferrance?

PS excuse the spelling, I can't seem to get my spell check to function on my tablet...

So looking around some of these threads it seems that most people are smoking dry. I have a WSM that I got last summer. Before that I was smoking on my propane grill that I riged with water pans and chips. I had great success with that and made some killer food on it but wanted to be more traditional. With that said I went and bought the WSM,and kept things the same, and filled the water pan in it for my smokes. Now after not using it for a few months (way to busy with work school and work) Im getting ready to start up again and this Friday will be my first smoke of the summer (pastrami). So after all that the million dollar question, should I use water, keep it dry, or is it a preferrance?

PS excuse the spelling, I can't seem to get my spell check to function on my tablet...
Once Aaron Franklin was asked what the perfect conditions were for BBQ cooking and he said, "a warm, humid day with no wind". And then he went on to say that if it's not humid he adds water to his cook. His pits have huge water holding capacities and he uses a water pan in his offset at home as well.

You will not get one "right" answer to this often asked question.

I line my water pan with foil, and fill with water. I like my fat drippings to fall into water, not onto a hot metal surface.

Other people will say there are "better/best" ways to use a WSM, but my way works for me.

CD

I hate dealing with greasy water so I run my WSM dry (Foiled pan for cleanup). I've used water and I can't tell the difference in the food.

I think it depends on your climate. Around here in summer time, my first one hundred degrees are free. I find the water helps me hold a steady temp. Now during wind and cold weather no water seems to work better.

I've always used water in mine, until Memorial Day when I just said what the heck and ran it dry. I didnt really notice a difference in the meat, but I was astonished at how much less charcoal I used. More than likely I'll stick to dry from here on out.

Did anyone notice that the barks came out better when going dry vs wet. For me while I have been happy with my overall results, the one issue I can't seem to get around is my bark is always a little softer than Id like

The only moisture I add is to the pitmaster in the form a of Beer applied liberally. If your roasting a Weenie on a stick over a camp fire do you put a cup of water between it and the coals or do you grasp a cold beer in your free hand??? HMmmm:confused:

The only moisture I add is to the pitmaster in the form a of Beer applied liberally. If your roasting a Weenie on a stick over a camp fire do you put a cup of water between it and the coals or do you grasp a cold beer in your free hand??? HMmmm:confused:

That is very, very true! LOL

I hate dealing with greasy water so I run my WSM dry (Foiled pan for cleanup). I've used water and I can't tell the difference in the food.

What Ron said. In winter here, the water just eats fuel and slows the cook. In summer, its normally humid as hell, and I've done with and without water in my WSM's and the only difference is with water, I have a mess to clean and it takes longer, and uses more fuel!

I recently acquired an 18.5" WSM and found a 16-inch clay saucer which I'm going to use in place of the water pan this weekend for a butt. I really hate the shape of the bowl on the 18.5. I suppose I can always put an aluminum pan on top if needed.

I've found using water was better than dry, my food comes out better

I just switched to charbroil ceramic briquettes. I foil the pan, foil the briquettes and place them in the foiled pan and foil over those. I don't have to change the foil on the briquettes or the pan once its done unless the top layer tears. So in the end it's just an initial hassle then changing out the top layer each cook.

The idea was to add mass in between the fire and the meat but to also transfer more heat than water for a more efficient burn. The extra gap from the bottom of the pan to the top layer of foil keeps the fat from burning and giving an off smell to my cooks. So far so good! I've noticed around an extra 1.5 hours of burn time in the 22.5 at 275 probably a lot more if I went 240-250.

I like the drier smoke since I tend to spritz and like the bark just a bit better. And if I want more moisture I have several options.

Back