• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

smoky joe pork fried rice

Zippylip

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
This was one of those days where I had no plan, all alone, & the fridge was pretty much empty. Poking around trying to come up with something to slap together when I happened upon two very thinly sliced pieces of bone in butt steaks in the freezer along with a bag of frozen veggies. Started thinking pork fried rice so into the pantry I went & there it was, the 9 year old box of uncle bens brown rice with just enough left in it to make the dish, then into the fridge to locate the even older bottle of soy sauce.

I've recently come across a contingent that thinks the smoky joe is without use & is best suited taking up space in a landfill. I find that to be absurd because I manage to find a use for the little guy nearly every day, today being no different.

Photo1_zpscfd5ff92.jpg

about 1/3 of a chimney of Kingsford & a fist full of mesquite setup indirect, pork steaks rubbed with salt & pepper, lid on & let it get happy :clap2::

photo2_zps397f0591.jpg

little while later all sliced up & ready to go:

photo4_zps5ea5bae1.jpg

get the wok screaming hot:

photo5_zpsb012c937.jpg

the prehistoric rice, frozen veggies & half a sliced onion that was also hiding in the fridge:

photo6_zps8133e956.jpg

onion in first to saute for a few minutes:

photo7_zps0b99ef83.jpg

then the rest of the stuff:

photo8_zps69155049.jpg

Sophia_zpsf072c511.jpg

not sure where she came from :heh:

fry the crap out of it for a good few minutes:

photo10_zps267e8c9b.jpg

and eat

photo9_zps2a949e99.jpg

not bad

Is that a Miller High Life I see in the first picture? I understand, as it is the "Champagne of Beers."

Looks good! So how did using the frozen veggies work out for you texture wise?

deguerre, they worked out very nice. They were the birdseye 'steam in bag' kind, pop the bag in the microwave for 6 minutes & the bag blows up like a balloon. Truthfully I can't tell the difference between these & fresh, once they're cooked they all taste about the same to me anyway.

In fact I enjoyed this so much I'm now going to duplicate it on purpose :laugh:, this morning I picked up a similar bag but this one has sugar snap peas, water chestnuts, carrots & broccoli - also picked up a pack of chicken thighs & some chicken stock, next batch will be chicken fried rice & I'll cook the rice in the stock for flavor & cut back on the soy sauce.

deguerre, they worked out very nice. They were the birdseye 'steam in bag' kind, pop the bag in the microwave for 6 minutes & the bag blows up like a balloon. Truthfully I can't tell the difference between these & fresh, once they're cooked they all taste about the same to me anyway.

In fact I enjoyed this so much I'm now going to duplicate it on purpose :laugh:, this morning I picked up a similar bag but this one has sugar snap peas, water chestnuts, carrots & broccoli - also picked up a pack of chicken thighs & some chicken stock, next batch will be chicken fried rice & I'll cook the rice in the stock for flavor & cut back on the soy sauce.

Thanks! I've never used frozen, but I have been eying the Birdseye stir fry veggie mix. Sure would be easier to just have them in the freezer without worrying they'll go bad in the fridge before you get around to cooking them. Not that I know anything about that...:roll:

Thanks! I've never used frozen, but I have been eying the Birdseye stir fry veggie mix. Sure would be easier to just have them in the freezer without worrying they'll go bad in the fridge before you get around to cooking them. Not that I know anything about that...:roll:

Give them a try I think you'll enjoy them, I've been using them for years. I make a lot of pasta dishes with them (steam in the bag then sautee in garlic & olive oil). Try & shoot for the ones that are just plain veggies though, anything they make with a 'sauce' pretty much blows; I'm lazy just not that lazy, I can handle the sauce part myself...

Another good brand is Pictsweet, they have the same steam in bag. Every now & then one or the other goes on sale @ .99 cents per bag so I grab maybe 10 of them of all different varieties.

We go through plenty of fresh veggies too, particularly for larger pieces to grill, but these things are a fantastic option if you need relatively small pieces & the destination is a cooked dish

Back