• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Created My First Injection

Cack

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I've done Myron's injection from his book every other time I've done a butt, but I decided to try my own hand at it yesterday.

The flavor came out well, but the butt was tougher than it's been before. I didn't use vinneger or anything to help break down the meat, so was that the mistake?

I cooked around 250-275 as I usually do, so the only thing I can think of is that I need to add something to the injection to help tenderize the meat a little more.

You may have just gotten a tougher butt. Sometimes they just take longer to get tender.

I've never used vinegar or anything in an injection to break down the meat and my butts come out fine. Are you sure you cooked it until it was probe tender? Did the bone come out easily and cleanly?

I've never used vinegar or anything in an injection to break down the meat and my butts come out fine. Are you sure you cooked it until it was probe tender? Did the bone come out easily and cleanly?

Now that I think about it. I pulled it out a little before I usually do. I pulled it around 180+ and I normally don't till it's at least 190+.

Parts still came out very good, but other parts were a little tougher. Same with the bone. 90% of it came out as smooth and easy as could be. But there were 2 spots that pulled a hair

What did you use?

Dr Pepper 10, Water, Ac'cent, then just some basic seasonings

Ah, BINGO, pulled out around 180+-... That's your culprit right there, not the injection(s).

Good to see your back on your horse my man. I think 180'ish might have been a little too soon. It seems like I'm almost always at around 195*. I'll bet it tasted good though. :grin:

It's definitely earlier than I've ever pulled before, but thought/hoped it'd go up another 5-10 while in the cooler. Guess I learned that one the hard way

Yep. That Dr Pepper probably had enough acid in it to make up for the lack of vinegar.

I once used an injection that was orange soda, and cider vinegar based. It turned the middle of the butt to mush. Nasty texture!

Back