• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Large charcoal grill of choice?

N

nralover

Whis is the best grill available for cooking larger amounts of food? I love everything about my Weber 22.5 inch but the size limitations. Any ideas?

Well then the 26 inch weber kettle would be good for you. Or really splurge and get the ranch kettle.

Get another 22.5, I have 3, including my Performer. I have only had to use 2 at one time so far.
Edit: A plus for using 2 kettles is doing chicken on one and ribs or another meat on the other, that way, no worries about getting raw chicken juices on something else.

Last edited:
One 26.75" Weber = 508sq.in. Two 22.5" = 726 sq. in both cost around $300.00 for the gold models you could do it for less than $200.00 with the silver model

The 26 inch, and especially the ranch kettles take a lot of fuel. Then again, if you go double on the 22.5 then you will use double the fuel any way. I think your wallet is going to dictate your decision. If you can afford the big kettles, go for it. Collect them in all sizes and colors. I wish I had all sizes and colors.:cool:

The 37.5" Ranch Kettle...

Weber-Ranch-Kettle.jpg

You could go with the extra large BGE. Of course the price is a bit steep.

Two 22" webers. But 3 is better, and almost as good as 4.

I use a heavy duty Kingfisher Kountry Kooker 17"x36" 600 sq. inch that sells for $1100.00 found it on Craigslist for $120.00 love it so watch CL. Here's a pic of it in the background. It was gas and I converted to charcoal.
bbq2019.jpg

Last edited:
I would love to have a Ranch Kettle, but just can't justify $1100 for a grill right now.

I would love to have a Ranch Kettle, but just can't justify $1100 for a grill right now.

I gave $300 for mine.Brand new.The store was going outta buisness and it was a floor model.It is a sweet machine.But I would NEVER pay $1100 for one.

I gave $300 for mine.Brand new.The store was going outta buisness and it was a floor model.It is a sweet machine.But I would NEVER pay $1100 for one.

I picked mine up off of CL for 450 in like new shape. The Ranch kettle sure gives a WOW factor.

I don't think I can recommend the 26" Char-Broil but it's cheap. Saw them earlier this winter at $89 and it seemed to be a good alternative. I have one and the ash catcher rusted out, but I think that is more operator error than anything else. They are probably about $129, or so, this year. I'm hankering for a 26" weber or an ranch kettle.

I"ve owned a Charbroil 940 for over 20 years and it seems to b by "go-to" grill for almost every burn except the long ones (12 hrs +), in which case I use the 22.5 WSM.

I don't think you can get the same quality cb-940 as earlier models, but keep ur eyes open on CL. Here's a pic of mine at the most recent refurbish...

Of course, it doesn't look like that now, but I will refurbish again this year and b more than proud to claim it!

BTW, I have figured out ways to ge a 5 & 6 hr burn out of it.

Good Luck!

Attachments

• Grill[1].jpg
    Grill[1].jpg
    39 KB · Views: 143
If you really like Ranch kettles keep looking on CL. In the Chicago area I've seen a few of them in the $400 ish range lately, so they can be had.

brickie

Another vote here for the Weber 26. It actually uses less coal than I expected, mostly because when you close all the vents it snuffs the fire like throwing a switch. I always have a lot left for my next cook.

Bob

A second 22.5 Kettle solved that dilemma for me. Also got one of those hover grills from the Smokenator people so that one of the kettles has increased capacity. Recently I put Moink on the hover grill with chicken below on the main cooking grate - sure didn't hurt the chicken to have bacon drippings on it! :=)

I really like my ranch kettle. I never use my 22.5 kettles anymore. I can create multiple heat zones and it's got plenty of space for whatever I throw at it. It came with a heavy (literally) duty stainless grate (with flip-ups). I threw a WSM charcoal ring in it to corral the charcoal for indirect. I also added a tel tru thermo. It's a tri tip cookin machine!

Price is definitely high, but I didn't pay out of pocket for it - I used AMEX points to buy it. Would I pay $1100+ for a new one? Maybe - the more I use it, the more I like it. :thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_0709.jpg
    IMG_0709.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0710.jpg
    IMG_0710.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 109
Back