Cambros worth the coin?

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
So after reading the post about our exonerated brother here... http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160995 it got me to thinking about Cambros again.

Are they worth the cost? They seem like convenient coolers? Convenient in that they fit hotel pans I guess.

I'd love to have one if they really do something special, and I would actually like to have some hotel pans on top of that. I think my FEC-100 actually fits hotel pans where I can slide them in the rails.

Anyways... what say ye about the Cambros? Worth the investment if you do some competitions here and there and like being able to hold meat for a while or keep it simple and stick with the typical cooler?

No one post links to the search button! I am SURE this has been discussed, but I wanted to discuss it again. Hehe.

I think they are worth the money. The fact they are made to commercial standards and not consumer standards. This means if you are just using them for contests and light use they will last for years. I use mine in a commercial setting and they hold up well to being used at least weekly.

I bought a couple of Carlisles(http://www.webstaurantstore.com/black-carlisle-pc300n03-insulated-food-pan-carrier/271PC300BK.html) locally, so no shipping. I use them for comps, some catering gigs, and for home use too. When I am not using them to hold food, the store my pans and what ever else fits in(racks, towels, etc). When I use them at contests or catering, it makes for easy cleanup, I put all the dirty dishes, knives, cutting boards, etc in one. Bring it home, turn it into a sink, place it on its back take off the door, fill it up with soap and water and clean all the dirty stuff, as well as the Carlisle.

IMO, they are certainly worth the $, especially if you can find a style that fits your needs and you can shop for a deal. I'm currently using a Yeti knockoff cooler made by Engle and marketed as a 80 quart TooKool that holds 3-4 of the 3/12 deep full sized pans perfectly and it holds temp great? When I'm not using for BBQ, it's on the boat holding fish & beer. Cost about 1/2 of a Yeti and a little less than the comparable sized Cambro. That said, I still want a Cambro.

I think so. I got a 400 for Christmas and I was worried it might be too big. Wrong. In fact we will be getting another one. Don't even shut the door at contests. After throwing some briskets and butts in there, it's friggin hot inside.

If you have the money to spend on one, I would do it. They are WAY more convenient than holding meat in a cooler.

I think so. I got a 400 for Christmas and I was worried it might be too big. Wrong. In fact we will be getting another one. Don't even shut the door at contests. After throwing some briskets and butts in there, it's friggin hot inside.

lol the first time i ever used the cambro with briskets, i had pulled beef. they hold heat well and are worth every penny imo. we got ours from amazon. get the heavy duty winco pans. the cheaper ones are really flimsy

Back