Grilling skinless boneless chicken breasts

butterfly the breasts, and if you like, pound them. the thinner breasts will be juicier because the inside will cook much quicker than on a thick breast, where the outside would be leathery by the time the inside is cooked through.

I've always considered chicken pretty easy to cook and don't understand the problem it gives some folks.

I've had good results w/ both direct and indirect, and have never used a therm to check for doneness.

It's (wait for it.....) done when it's done. (woohoo! My first time saying that here!) :bow:

I work grill station at a mid Indiana bar and grill. I cook literally 50+ boneless skinless chicken breast per shift a day. Yep 50+ minimum. We use a Star ultramax charbroiler during lunch ans an Aztec wood fire grill for dinner. We don't brine or marinated. The chicken comes frozen from whoever is cheaper. Are thawed in water and get oiled salt pepper and slapped on grill skin down quarter turn for marks and flipped to finish. Don't have any thermopens but, I think we have a dial therm somewhere. We use touch feel method on most to tell doneness. Cut and peak method is used to train new cooks. And they soon learn not to do that. Ok, having established all that and my point, when asked how we get our chicken breasts so tender moist and juicy and how to do it. The answer is always the same: STOP OVER COOKING THEM!!! If your wondering chicken sandwich and dinner is second best seller after steaks. Doesn't matter what merged you learn and use just stop overcooking

Last edited:
Some great advice in the posts. Cooking to no more than 140f-150f is the most critical. Brining does help retain moisture.
My method is probably a bit controversial. I brine for an hour or so. Wash, dry and pack in vacuum bags. Sous vide at 145f for 2 hours. Then open up, pat dry, oil with olive oil and give quick sear on both sides. End product always moist, cooked consistently well and they have the texture of THIGHS.
John

I've always coked mine direct without any issues, always juicy and tender. Overcooking them is the culprit if they are dry or tough.

KC

thanks guys

my goal was to help those who are having trouble with this cut of meat on the grill

I think we have accomplished that

Back