A note on a Lang smoker capacity.

BBQ Bandit

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
There have been many threads on the differences and explanations between standard/traditional offsets and reverse flow smokers... and yes do own both types; a Klose BYC and a Lang 84. Each smoker have unique strong points which sets them apart.

If I had to cook for a small/medium party...
The Klose BYC has the advantage over the Lang for having multiple temperature zones simultaneously... capable of utilizing the zones as a strategic cooking. Have cooked chicken, ribs, sausages, and candy bacon at the same time - each food at a particular location/temp zone. However you must watch out and monitor the hottest part - next to the firebox; will dry up and carbonize food if not careful.

If I had to cook a much larger volume...
The Lang 84 has a smaller hot zone (percentage-wise) - but does exist because how the firebox is notched into the cook chamber. However has a much larger and uniform temperature capacity due to the internal R/F baffle... reducing the need for rotating meats for uniform cooking without rotating, shuffling, or juggling.

In the picture below - is the Lang getting fully loaded with 39 pork butts - over 300 lbs.; 24 lower/15 upper. She cooked thru the night @ 275* - without rotating. The top shelf was slightly hotter (heat rises) by 25* and came off 10 hours later. The lower shelf was unloaded 30-45 minutes later.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Both smokers are well made, quality smokers that are competition ready.
It all boils down to additional uses and capacities.

[Sorry for the pun.]

Last edited:
You have those packed in there pretty tight Bob, no issues with air flow and draft with that many butts in there?

We could have actually gotten about 6 more butts in there but they would have been sitting right over the hottest part of the pit.

Each butt was strategically placed to have an inch of air space all around. :bow:

Durn dude, I'm really impressed!

39 butts, average 8 lbs
= 312 lbs x 60% yeild (the looked pretty lean)
187 lbs product divided by 1/3 lb/serving-sammich
= +550 servings

That's really impressive numbers for a trailered pit! If I'm ever close enough for one of your pro bono cooks I'm in (just for the learning experience).

We could have actually gotten about 6 more butts in there but they would have been sitting right over the hottest part of the pit.

Each butt was strategically placed to have an inch of air space all around. :bow:

You would know all about that... after all you were there. :thumb:

Durn dude, I'm really impressed!

39 butts, average 8 lbs
= 312 lbs x 60% yeild (the looked pretty lean)
187 lbs product divided by 1/3 lb/serving-sammich
= +550 servings

That's really impressive numbers for a trailered pit! If I'm ever close enough for one of your pro bono cooks I'm in (just for the learning experience).

Actually - its a modified Lang Kitchen - without a hitch or trailer axle.
[However I do transport it within an enclosed trailer]
picture.php

geez that is a lot of butts!! Thanks for the info.. Each day I am getting closer and closer to going with a Lang 60, if I could just fine one somewhat close by!

Bob, do you find yourself having to rotate the butts after a few hours?

I know the answer, I'm asking for the people who may not know what a Lang is all about.:wink:

Never mind. I see you answered that question already.:doh:

I know the answer, I'm asking for the people who may not know what a Lang is all about.:wink:

In order to rotate that many butts you would lose so much heat and add so much cooking time. The better plan is to pull as they finish. You save time, fuel and the hassle of grabbin hot buts!

NTTAWWT.

Only if you're sitting on a bar stool with a half-full glass of beer... (rimshot).

Thanks for the comparison. The only thing that I would add is that you can somewhat control the temps on the Lang by raising or lowering the tongue of the trailer if you have one. We will sometimes lower the tongue to get a larger hotspot for chicken and beans. We have had a 60 for almost 8 years now, and for big parties, we can load her down with 200lbs of butts!

Thanks for the comparison. The only thing that I would add is that you can somewhat control the temps on the Lang by raising or lowering the tongue of the trailer if you have one. We will sometimes lower the tongue to get a larger hotspot for chicken and beans. We have had a 60 for almost 8 years now, and for big parties, we can load her down with 200lbs of butts!

So true! Thanks for bringing that up.
Normally am just used to leveling the pit out (front to back and left to right) and firing it up after each time the pit is moved to another location.

Two good pit masters........Bubba and Bandit.........

A Lang 84 with 40 whole chickens. We did have to shuffle birds away from the firebox end and we also lost one in the round end of the cooking chamber. :biggrin1:

Back