Guys, I need your opinion.

Phrasty

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Ok.. so its time again for the annual local BBQ competition and I have a question for you more seasoned competitors. Last year, people seemed to like what we did and we placed first in the chicken category and 4th in ribs (baby back). So heres the deal... I know the reason my ribs did not place better was due to the doneness level (or the lack thereof..) So I think I'm gonna stick to the same Rib Rub because I know it has a good shot of placing better. BUT saying that.. do I stick with the same winning chicken recipe? Or do I be ballsy and try to win it again with a different recipe? ... show diversity? (if we pull it off) What do you think?

thinking about it... I see it having different sides to it. On one side, if you have a winning recipe you have a winning recipe, and this IS a competition. But then again you might have people winning in comps all the time only knowing one recipe.. What does that say?

What say you?

PS.. Hi btw its been a long time since ive been on here. Hope all is well with you all.

Cheers.

Stick with what you know... If your chicken recipe is hitting, stay with it... Experiment with those categories that could use improvement. MHO.

Welcome back..

Only you can answer this question..All depends on your goals..

If it's to win.. stick with what you know works.. Just be prepared for the possibility that your winning chicken recipe from last year, does not do as well this year. Anything can happen.

if it's to see if you can win with multiple variations, then try something new and get satisfaction from that.

Good Luck !!

If it is a local competition and the judges are not certified or experienced, it is very difficult to consistently score high.

I would cook and turn in what I think is my best stuff, let the chips fall where they may as far as scores and kick back and enjoy the event.

Only you can answer this question..All depends on your goals..

If it's to win.. stick with what you know works.. Just be prepared for the possibility that your winning chicken recipe from last year, does not do as well this year. Anything can happen.

if it's to see if you can win with multiple variations, then try something new and get satisfaction from that.

I agree with Vinny....

BTW, Farker, you never showed up for my birthday!!! I sent the invite!

If it is good don't change it for the Comp. Experiment prior to or after the Comp and decide what you like bes. You can even do a tate test for a group of friends. Good luck

Uhhh...to me it says you are a winner!

yep

I suspect anybody that wins ANY event won't have much trouble mixing things up if/when they want to. Lots of folks have a competition recipe that is different from their favorite recipe.

yep

I suspect anybody that wins ANY event won't have much trouble mixing things up if/when they want to. Lots of folks have a competition recipe that is different from their favorite recipe.

I agree, I would never serve my friends the food I cook for a comp!

Why change? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 10th can be first and 1st can be 10th. Calls are the name of the game:wink:

If it is a local competition and the judges are not certified or experienced, it is very difficult to consistently score high.

I would cook and turn in what I think is my best stuff, let the chips fall where they may as far as scores and kick back and enjoy the event.

This is what I was thinking personally... have both recipes there on the grill and when the time comes taste the better one and turn it in for judging. In the back of my head though I kinda want us to try win with a new recipe... Well see how it goes..

DiveMaster.. What are you talking about??? I got it and since i couldnt make it I sent a really nice 53.5 piece BBQ set... What you telling me you didnt get it? And I just thought you were ungrateful!!! hmmm.. lol

DiveMaster.. What are you talking about??? I got it and since i couldnt make it I sent a really nice 53.5 piece BBQ set... What you telling me you didnt get it? And I just thought you were ungrateful!!! hmmm.. lol
Well done my friend, welcome back. LOL

All I can say is "Cook what you are happiest with".

Competing is supposed to be FUN--so cook your best and see what happen.

Don't lose any sleep fretting about it. :-D

JMHO

Back