Just picked up a Performer and I am looking for some tips on grilling for two.

G

Graphix

Just used our performer last night for the first time. Everything came out good but I felt like it was very chaotic and everything was cooking too fast. How do you guys set up your kettles for grilling? Last nights menu was burgers, asparagus and zuchini. How would you do it? I used the two charcoal baskets filled and in the middle of the grill. I am thinking maybe I should have not used them and formed a pile on one side of the grill. Burgers seared beautifully but veggies were cooking too fast.
Thanks
Brendan

Either place the food on a different times depending on cook time or set up (like you said) a two zone cook. Place the charcoal on one side of the pit leaving the other side free of any direct heat.

Congrats on the new Weber. You'll love it once you get the hang of it.

I don't use no stinking baskets they impose limits:biggrin1: Stack you charcoal on one side of the bowl that is the hot zone the other side is the cool zone everything in between is the med zone. the only time I go strait over the coals is it Sere something.

Spread your coals out more also. If you had them baskets full and was cooking directly over them then yeah everything is going to cook too fast.

I addition to the excellent advice you receive here, I would highly suggest purchasing a book like "Webers Big Book of Grilling". Great information on how to control heat and the right type of fire to use for different applications.

it sounds like too much fuel for burgers and veggies

At least in part, sounds like you've intuitively figured out the solution. As the others said. do a little research on this site, and the weber site, keep playing with the different ideas. You will get to be pretty good at it in short order,
KC

Go to http://www.weber.com/home, highlight Grill Out, and you will find lots of info. Also, this photo illustrates different coal arrangements.
www-bbqviking-com-charcoal-setup1.png

Back