Technology discussion re: pellet fed vs. manual labor

Of course steel is not as efficient as ceramics,i would love to have a 20x48"
offset ceramic and find out just how much more efficient the ceramics really are.Wonder if they could be used to burn wood? i know my 1/2"+ steel firebox when warmed up and cooking,greatly helps with the combustion of the next preheated stick to light and burn cleanly.

JKH said:
,i would love to have a 20x48"
offset ceramic and find out just how much more efficient the ceramics really are.Wonder if they could be used to burn wood?

Build a block/stone/brick (whatever) pit and go for it! They are basically "ceramic" and will build quite a heat load...most of them are fed from a burn area - i.e the wood is burned to coals an shoveled into the chamber (offset or underneath).

chad said:
Build a block/stone/brick (whatever) pit and go for it! They are basically "ceramic" and will build quite a heat load...most of them are fed from a burn area - i.e the wood is burned to coals an shoveled into the chamber (offset or underneath).

Que has been cooked like that for decades all over the south. Worked well back then, still works well today. It stood the test of time.

chad said:

Well that won't tell me much about a ceramics efficiency by burning wood,no ceramics burn wood..
These cookers are popular in Texas BBQ establishments,i seen a BBQ show showing Smitty's,,Kreuz BBQ looked like no preburning wood though,just placing oak on top of ashes by the entrance to the meat.

Just to give you an idea.... The Kingfisher I use in comps has an oven over the firebox. It is 3 shelf and will hold 3 full steam trays. That oven typically runs 100 degrees hotter than my smoking chamber --- so the offset costs my efficiency greatly - Could get by with less fuel if the cooking chamber was over the coals instead of next to them. I think Ray's point about efficency of offsets has alot to do with the efficency debate. Obviously then anything that aids insulation is icing on the cake.

HoDeDo said:
Just to give you an idea.... The Kingfisher I use in comps has an oven over the firebox. It is 3 shelf and will hold 3 full steam trays. That oven typically runs 100 degrees hotter than my smoking chamber --- so the offset costs my efficiency greatly - Could get by with less fuel if the cooking chamber was over the coals instead of next to them. I think Ray's point about efficency of offsets has alot to do with the efficency debate. Obviously then anything that aids insulation is icing on the cake.

Right on target! I don't have the oven -- just the water tank and then the work surface (expanded steel). I do insulate the rotisserie if it's cool with a couple of old thrift shop blankets - even that makes a big difference.

Of course if your cooking chamber was over the coals you would be more efficient,but i'm talking the main reason for having a thick offset in the first place,,,to burn wood,makes no sense at all to buy a cooker with an offset firebox and use charcoal.I seen an upright cooker with a side firebox,,now whoever sees that thinks it'd be more efficient if it was under the upright like say a Stumps,,if it was right underneath then you couldn't burn wood.

JKH said:
Well that won't tell me much about a ceramics efficiency by burning wood,no ceramics burn wood..
These cookers are popular in Texas BBQ establishments,i seen a BBQ show showing Smitty's,,Kreuz BBQ looked like no preburning wood though,just placing oak on top of ashes by the entrance to the meat.

Actually, that tells you tons about the efficiency..you don't need flames to maintain the temps.

Most brick/block pits I saw in Texas and around here are fed coals. Some open pits, especially in Texas, use burning wood - but they are usually built with the cook grate many, many inches (about 2 feet) above the coal bed. They may burn the wood to coals "by the entrance to the meat" but the main cooking is going on over coals.

Hey, opinions on methods are like anuses...we all have 'em. You buy or build what YOU want -- I don't sweat what other folks use anymore - I might be envious, though!

"Hey, opinions on methods are like anuses...we all have 'em. You buy or build what YOU want -- I don't sweat what other folks use anymore - I might be envious, though!"

Tell y'all what--If Jamie Geer made a Whole Hog Cooker, Chad would be in debt BIG TIME! :lol:

TIM

The_Kapn said:
"Hey, opinions on methods are like anuses...we all have 'em. You buy or build what YOU want -- I don't sweat what other folks use anymore - I might be envious, though!"

Tell y'all what--If Jamie Geer made a Whole Hog Cooker, Chad would be in debt BIG TIME! :lol:

TIM

Nope! I'd feel compeled to CLEAN it more often. I don't want a cooker I have to Turtle Wax.:shock: (I'm kidding, sort of!) They sure are pretty!

I'm thinking a Jack's Old South Signature in black and stainless!! And then some spiffy button down shirts for the awards ceremonies!:mrgreen: Heck, if we walked more often we could afford team shirts!!:rolleyes:

Anybody know anything about the Jamie Geer pits? Seems i can't find out any information on them,once i asked and someone said it was a klose with a 10k paint job.

I just love this Chit..... My bride knows if I win the lottery... I'd have an 40x60 bldg just to hold all the cookin rigs I'd own. Kinda like Jay Leno's garage..... oh wait, that would be the building next to it ;o)

JKH said:
Anybody know anything about the Jamie Geer pits? Seems i can't find out any information on them,once i asked and someone said it was a klose with a 10k paint job.

"Au Contraire" (or how ever you spell that).
Rod (KCPellethead) has one.
I saw his at Ft Rucker.
Gorgeous, as are the few others around!
Very limited production.

True works of art.

Hang on and he will be around, I am suire.

TIM

JKH said:

Man were you told wrong! Jamie's pits are indeed works of art...Trigg, Rod, and lots of others use them regularly. Tight tolerances, great paint, even the insides of the storage areas are painted. Cast iron firebox doors...yeah, lot's of pretty things - but they are build first and foremost to cook.

Don't let "sour grapes" "friends" steer you wrong. Also, it's not real "politic" to slam anyone's cooker (user or manufacturer) on this forum. If you haven't seen one please be careful about passing along negative "information".

Everyone should own one of each...

I just love this Chit..... My bride knows if I win the lottery... I'd have an 40x60 bldg just to hold all the cookin rigs I'd own. Kinda like Jay Leno's garage..... oh wait, that would be the building next to it ;o)

I'm just happy to know that there are others who are as sick as I am!

Smokers Wild (Don and Sharon Will) also have a georgous Geer. They are down in Florida right now doing the Key Largo, and Plant city contests... So look for the Paola, KS tags and sexy pit!!

The 10k comment i made up,,figured i would get some info,,being nice never works,,i know,i been asking about the Geer pits for over a year,never learned anything.seen one on tv and i swear i seen my reflection in it.Gorgeous they are.And plenty of BBQ W Championships so it ain't just a paint job.

JKH said:
The 10k comment i made up,,figured i would get some info,,being nice never works,,i know,i been asking about the Geer pits for over a year,never learned anything.seen one on tv and i swear i seen my reflection in it.Gorgeous they are.And plenty of BBQ W Championships so it ain't just a paint job.

All you had to do was ask! Lot's of us have had our tails whipped by Trigg and Ron and (fill in a name) using Jamie's cookers. I'll never be able to afford on, but then I can't afford an Escalade to pull a pit either.:-D

Guess i'll never be able to afford one either,i'd pay a grand to have a looksee inside one of his fireboxes though,so i guess we're talking 30k-1.2m somewhere in that price?

JKH said:
Guess i'll never be able to afford one either,i'd pay a grand to have a looksee inside one of his fireboxes though,so i guess we're talking 30k-1.2m somewhere in that price?

Who knows?
Fine art is priceless :lol:

TIM

Back