• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What to charge for 32 butts?

Limp Brisket

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
What's a fair price to smoke 32 butts for somebody? Rub and wood should be factored in the price. I will not be pulling them.

Thoughts?

I charge by pound. Usually a butt renders down to about 5 # of meat. if you charge by # 5 #s x 32 =160 160 x 10 (what i charge per pound/prices are going up on pork keep that in mind) = 1600 Thats a rough estimate. Some butts start out weighing 2-3 pounds more than others. Hope this helps.

Just to be clear, he already has the butts, he would be giving them to me in a cooler(s), I will season and smoke. What I will quote is my labor, the wood and the rub for 32 butts.

He was quoted $2000 by somebody else to season and smoke the same 32 butts. :shock:

Thanks.

google bbq catering joints generally they sell pulled pork by the pound. Usually its in the $10 range. Give or take $2.

PULLED PORK
1 Pound -$10.79

One pound of our pulled pork makes about 5 sandwiches.

copied the above from a joint in my areas website

however, i was unaware you werent buying the meat. a good calculation is cost times 3. so you could divide what i did earlier by 3, and just use 2/3. for example, 1600/3 = 533
533x2=1066
this type of calculation factors price of meat/ price of expendables/ and profit

you could ask him what meat cost, then double that for your labor and expendables.
make sense?

here it is from web site

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-05-13 at 4.29.43 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2014-05-13 at 4.29.43 PM.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 177
wait no im confused. that is light on the sandwiches. I usually quote 15 servings per butt. That would be around 3 sammiches. Sorry im confused...

A fair price for just rubbing and cooking (no processing and picked up) 32 butts should be between $1,000 and $1,200. Will your cooker handle 32 butts in 1 cook? If it will I'd ask $1,000. If it will take 2 cooks then $1,200. If more than 2 cooks you shouldn't be trying this.

Imho it all depends on how much you value your time. Calculate the number of hours it will take you to cook the 32 butts. Take the number of hours times your labor cost (per hour). Add in any incidental costs such as wood, rub, injection, delivery expenses (total of these times 3 for margin purposes).

i.e. You can cook all 32 butts in one run in 14 hours. Your time is worth $40/hr. Your incidental costs total $100 ($300 charged after margin added, $100 x 3). Labor of 14hrs x $40/hr = $560, Incidentals $300, Total Charge = $860 (personally I would round that up to an even grand)

Of course if you have to do multiple runs to cook the 32 butts the cost will increase by the number of runs times your labor costs. The folks that quoted him the $2K could easily have been experiencing just this scenario. They may need to make two runs due to the capacity limits of their equipment which would then virtually double their labor cost.

CAVEAT: IF we cooked "other peoples meat" this is how we would charge it out. However, due to quality control practices, on our part, we do not take on these types of jobs. But that is a whole other Thread. :wink:

CAVEAT: IF we cooked "other peoples meat" this is how we would charge it out. However, due to quality control practices, on our part, we do not take on these types of jobs. But that is a whole other Thread. :wink:

Yeah, how do you know he stored it properly before giving it to you? Not a lot of homes have refrigeration for 32 butts. How do you know how old they are? If people get sick, whose fault is it?

Sometimes people request me for gigs where I just bring my grill and cook their food, and at tailgates sometimes some guests with dietary issues bring their own food and ask me to cook it. I decline and explain my reasons why. Besides, my fee for this would be way too high, lol.

A fair price for just rubbing and cooking (no processing and picked up) 32 butts should be between $1,000 and $1,200. Will your cooker handle 32 butts in 1 cook? If it will I'd ask $1,000. If it will take 2 cooks then $1,200. If more than 2 cooks you shouldn't be trying this.

I can do it in 1 cook with some room to spare. I think I've done 44 at once on my smoker. Thanks.

Yeah, how do you know he stored it properly before giving it to you? Not a lot of homes have refrigeration for 32 butts. How do you know how old they are? If people get sick, whose fault is it?

Sometimes people request me for gigs where I just bring my grill and cook their food, and at tailgates sometimes some guests with dietary issues bring their own food and ask me to cook it. I decline and explain my reasons why. Besides, my fee for this would be way too high, lol.

He is a chef and has over scheduled/promised himself, I'm going to trust that he is taking proper care of the meat.

Butts only and your not pulling and they are picking them up and you have no desire to be in business then I'd say $35-$40 per butt. I'd be at $11.95lb myself though.

Butts only and your not pulling and they are picking them up and you have no desire to be in business then I'd say $35-$40 per butt. I'd be at $11.95lb myself though.

Yep, butts only, not pulling but I said I would deliver. It isn't that I do not have any desire to be in business it's just that this isn't a business for me and I have done several cooks recently for 150+ people, two that were back to back weekends, all of which included sides. I am tired! Plus, this is on Memorial Day weekend.

I appreciate the input from all of you, everybody is pretty much inline with what I quoted. I did take in to account the input from you guys before quoting. They can take it or leave it, I'm fine either way.

Back