Injection Needle Size?

Greg60525

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've never injected before and I want to give it a try. I want to inject brisket and pork butts.

What needle diameter (OD) do you recommend? I'm assuming the diameter is not as critical for pork butts if the pork will be pulled because it is unlikely that injection marks will be seen.

I'm concerned with brisket, as too large a diameter will cause visible injection marks. The common diameter appears to be 3/16". Is this too large? That size of a needle seems quite large to me.....not sure how the brisket feels about it.

I'm also in the market for an injector that will hold up. The pistol type has been given good marks by some others. My goal would be a good injector with a small needle.

Will the needles from various companies attach to other makes of injectors?

Thanks,

Bayou Classic makes a great stainless injector. You can get a few different tips for them, too.

Take a look at the Spitjack Injector, works like a charm, its inexepensive, and it lasts, just google spitjack and you will find the site

The smaller the hole, the less leakage of what you injected. One eighth inch is what I use. Find at Big Lots, $2.00 and Target, same price. Vet. supply or farm and home stores also have them. Steve.

That's the one I use too. I only had the needle with the blunt end, anyone you the sharp one with success?

Back