Well here it is, finally finished it friday night after work. Did a seasoning burn same night held it at 350 for about 3 hours then opened it up and let lit burn all night. Was at 100 next morning almost no charcoal left. It has a nice beautiful black coating on the inside now.

First cook today. 5lb boston butt. Put it on about noon held 275 under center of grate for 7 1/2 hours til meat temp hit 195. Rested 30min and pulled. Man I love this smoker. Only a sandwich bag full of meat left after dinner!

Thanks for all the info Brothers in BBQ.

Very nice job:thumb:
Nice UDS except for the scarlet A.

GEAUX TIGERS-WHOOP 'EM AGAIN :clap2::clap2:

Im having a hard time finding unlined drums. The ones I have found have had chemicals in them like linex and oil.

I got one that had windshield washer fluid in it, and it wasn't a lined drum. Mine is fine and only took the time of a fire inside of it, then a clean out of the ash residue with soapy water.

Any good hot fire will take care of any oil or chemical, IMHO... and followed by a empty run of a seasoning smoke will coat the insides quite well.

Attachments

• That is hot! (Medium) (2).JPG
    That is hot! (Medium) (2).JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 763
Im having a hard time finding unlined drums. The ones I have found have had chemicals in them like linex and oil.

Burn it out, clean out the residue. A steel barrel is not a sponge,it doesn't absorb liquid.

I have a UDS made from an open-top drum that held wheel bearing grease and one made from a closed-top drum that held hydraulic oil. You can read the MSDS on these products. Once burned and cleaned, these drums are at least as safe as those that have had the red liner burned out, IMHO. If you're queasy about the prior contents of your drum, spend the extra $$$ and get a new unlined one.

Mine had diesel oil in it. Did a really good wash, 2 burns, sanded the inside, got the left over residue out and then seasoned. Those barrels, as far as I know, don't absorb the chemicals. Do yourself a favor and have the red liner sand blasted if you're gonna keep that barrel......

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

Originally Posted by chobint

Great idea. I've been having trouble keeping the temps low for long times. After about 1 and a half to two hours the temp starts climbing to 350 and won't stop unless I completely snuf it out and start again. When I look inside the WHOLE basket will be burning. I switched to a paint can that I burned holes in. Using 6 prelighted coals on top, I am able to get three hours at 275 until it needs reloading. However, this look's like a better way to ONLY burn a set amount of coals at a time.

For quick and easy grill placement; make two of the grill support bolts stationary while the third bolt slides in and out.

use what you got - but I doubt you will need a full leaf blower to inject the air - a shop vac will probably give you more than enough. Of course understand that you will be pealing off all the outside paint as well.

So much effort and work, which is not a bad thing, but why not get the drum sand blasted and get cooking.

Question for those with drum lids and not kettle lids on their UDS's. Is the weight of the lid on its own enough to create a seal or am I better off using the locking ring for a tight seal.

Another question I have is regarding paint. Everyone says to use high temp paint, if I paint the drum in high temp then a normal paint colour in sections over that, do you think it will be ok? I see people with stickers on their drums so assume it would be ok, but would like to hear from the Brethren.

Question for those with drum lids and not kettle lids on their UDS's. Is the weight of the lid on its own enough to create a seal or am I better off using the locking ring for a tight seal.

Another question I have is regarding paint. Everyone says to use high temp paint, if I paint the drum in high temp then a normal paint colour in sections over that, do you think it will be ok? I see people with stickers on their drums so assume it would be ok, but would like to hear from the Brethren.

When I did a burn out on my drum it warped the barrel opening a tad bit so when I put my lid on it kinda snaps on. Its a perfect seal. Also I think you would be fine with the paint when I'm cooking at 250 on my drum I can touch it without burning myself. They don't really get super hot on the outside. Or at least mine doesn't.

I'm just gonna burn mine real good and go from there. I have a wire brush on a 4.5" angle grinder that will take care of the rest.....hopefully LOL

I agree about the paint. On my first UDS I used regular paint and have had drum up to 350 and have never had any problems with peeling or anything. I'm building my second one now as a gift, and will be using just regular paint. Not sure if I will spray or roll though.

brickie

I'm just gonna burn mine real good and go from there. I have a wire brush on a 4.5" angle grinder that will take care of the rest.....hopefully LOL

Actually all I did is scuff up the old paint on the barrel and rolled black right over it.Once again, no problems at all!

I do my burn out first, then just use 97 cent Wally World spray paint! Works great!:amen:

Hello from Italy

I want to begun to built a simple but very good UDS/BDS and then probably I'll built a RF Smoker.
I haven't a 55 Gallon Drum at one's disposal; so I begin to find other things and I found a tube of 59" (height) X 27.5" (diameter).
Because of his uncomfortability i though on cutting the single tube in three pieces like in the photo.

I need some advices and tips&tricks to built a good single intake UDS/BDS like the Sean "Puffy" Coals project. (forum link)

Thanks to all,
Have a nice day.

Actually all I did is scuff up the old paint on the barrel and rolled black right over it.Once again, no problems at all!

I'm talking about the red liner on the inside. I don't really care about what the outside looks like.

https://picasaweb.google.com/113183466132602343453/DropBox#5684005869951124898

The beginning of my R2-BQ UDS project. Head is the bottom of a 22.5 OTS, and I removed the leg holders. The lid of that same grill had the flange cut off of it, and the flange was then welded to the top of the drum to create a docking collar for head. I used the bottom because I wanted R2 to have the right dome shaped head. I am leaving the One Touch mechanism in place to use as a exhaust dampener.

A man and his can!

What's up fellas...I wrote a basic article on UDS Theory (What a great idea for a college course!) on our new BBQ Blog on our website. I plan on doing a running column based on my experiences with the UDS at home and in competition. Check it out and let me know what you think.

http://tellyouwhatbbq.blogspot.com/

@Vulcanus, That should work. I would possibly shave a few inches off the middle section. I think 8" there would work.
@BigKev, Looking good there! Keep it up!
@SJM845, It's always great to pass on knowledge learned!

I want to thank everyone that has started and contributed to this thread and the wealth of knowldege it contains! I have read all the posts starting at the beginning when it already had 8500 posts. I can't wait to see it hit 10,000!!!!!

Back