BBQ Brethren "By Brethren for Brethren" Throwdown

Where can I get the foil hat rub??

I wish I could help you there. I happened to win a bottle of Foil Hat Rub in a contest of skill and daring. :rolleyes: I believe the owners of the company were thinking of going public and decided to give a few bottles out for promotional purposes. I've been trying to promote it every chance I get, but the more I promote, the more demand goes down. :icon_blush: I believe the mod of this subforum should know where a supply might be found. At one time Bigabyte even suggested having "prizes" for the Throwdown winners. I would suggest that even a small sample of Foil Hat Rub, even a small baggie that would fit into a regular first class envelope would be a prize for a king. It is THAT good.

Master has been trying to duplicate the recipe for many months. The closest he came was reported here.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84311

Unfortunately, someone must have contaminated the sample.

I've been wondering the history of Foil Hat myself. Search is useless since it is used in lots of threads. I'm still wondering.

Anyone looking for Foil Hat Rub, I will send some out to all interested parties. I have been promising to send some out to quite a number of folks for a while now, but an ungodly amount of financial things have come up, one horribly expensive thing right after the other, and I literally have not had the money to buy all of the ingredients because I have to prioritize all of my money elsewhere!:flame: Hell, I haven't had any for myself for a while now!:tsk: Luckily, I have a massive stash of other Brethren rubs and stuff to keep me going for a long, long while. This financial burden will soon pass though...maybe a couple months or so. I'm gonna be making a big ass batch, that's for sure. I would sell it, but figure it will be even longer before I can make that happen (legitimately anyway), so that can wait for a bit too.

.... Hell, I haven't had any for myself for a while now!:tsk:

Wow, that means I might have the only supply of Foil Hat Rub in the entire world! I wonder what it is worth! :shock:

BTW, most of us are not shy about using Paypal. It's not like you're going to get rich, but it will at least cover your expenses and if you have a bit of business savvy, it may cover a rack or ribs every now and again. :thumb:

Ok, well I feel the guilt and the need to Q. I just put on a Brisky packer to enter this worthy Throwdown. It is 4 am and pouring rain here and it is supposed to snow. Hello, we live near San Francisco, in California and that is not supposed to happen. So I have family coming in today and we are going to have:
1. Peanut slaw
2. Simply Marvelous Beef Brisket for Plowboys with BBQ Beans 'n Big Butz

Ingredients and pron will come later

I'm just sitting here on my frog mat wondering how I can include it......

Ok, well I feel the guilt and the need to Q. I just put on a Brisky packer to enter this worthy Throwdown. It is 4 am and pouring rain here and it is supposed to snow. Hello, we live near San Francisco, in California and that is not supposed to happen. So I have family coming in today and we are going to have:
1. Peanut slaw

I'm excited to see how this one turns out. Good luck with the frog mat inclusion. :thumb:

Anyone looking for Foil Hat Rub, I will send some out to all interested parties. I have been promising to send some out to quite a number of folks for a while now, but an ungodly amount of financial things have come up, one horribly expensive thing right after the other, and I literally have not had the money to buy all of the ingredients because I have to prioritize all of my money elsewhere!:flame: Hell, I haven't had any for myself for a while now!:tsk: Luckily, I have a massive stash of other Brethren rubs and stuff to keep me going for a long, long while. This financial burden will soon pass though...maybe a couple months or so. I'm gonna be making a big ass batch, that's for sure. I would sell it, but figure it will be even longer before I can make that happen (legitimately anyway), so that can wait for a bit too.

Thanks for the offer Chris. I was pretty sure Foil Hat was yours. I take it that it is a secret recipe rub. Fair enough. I would love to take you up on your offer and would be more than happy to pay for it. But like you, I have a stash of rubs to try out already. A few I haven't even opened yet. So, I'm not in any hurry to get any more. It is probably going to take me all summer to go through what I have.

BTW, most of us are not shy about using Paypal. It's not like you're going to get rich, but it will at least cover your expenses and if you have a bit of business savvy, it may cover a rack or ribs every now and again. :thumb:
I am not comfortable selling it without having done the proper legwork first. I am pretty sure you can not sell foodstuffs that you create the same way you can sell other crafts you make. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it needs a nutrition label, an approved facility, all that. Of course...I haven't even checked all that out yet!:becky:

I am not comfortable selling it without having done the proper legwork first. I am pretty sure you can not sell foodstuffs that you create the same way you can sell other crafts you make. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it needs a nutrition label, an approved facility, all that. Of course...I haven't even checked all that out yet!:becky:

Oh, I would never suggest you sell Foil Hat Rub, just the beautiful, artisan bottles. When you send these bottles out, you might give away a sample of the rub to your friends. :becky:

Oh, I would never suggest you sell Foil Hat Rub, just the beautiful, artisan bottles. When you send these bottles out, you might give away a sample of the rub to your friends. :becky:
:doh:Why didn't I think of that? They are really unique bottles.

1. Peanut slaw

I may have to go outside in the rain just to get a whiff of your brisky!

Maybe smoke some peanuts on your frogmat for your slaw?

:doh:Why didn't I think of that? They are really unique bottles.

Chris - I hear you have some unique collectors bottles that work well for holding rubs. If you're looking to sell a bottle, I'd be interested in one!

I'm excited too! Tom, I'd love to see your sales charts after this throwdown. I expect to see a big spike!
More sales are great but, I'm more excited about the food. This is one that I would really love to have samples of everything. Some great looking food coming out on this one.

Seems that I, too, am out of bottles:shocked:, I would love to purchase a bottle or two if'n you have any bottles left!

Here is my humble entry into this fun Throwdown. I had family come into town today, so it gave me a great reason to Q and eat. I smoked up the brisket that Brethren R2Egg2Q (John) was kind enough to snag for me at a great price.

With that I made us some BBQ beans based on a recipe posted by patiodaddio and modified a bit.

And while the beans were on the BGE in my Dutch Oven, there was extra space for a few MOINK balls to just slip in there...

I included the following awesome brethren products.

Brisket
Plowboy's Bovine Bold followed with Simply Marvelous Sweet and Spicy when I separated the point from the flat.
BigButz Original BBQ sauce was added to the burnt tips
BigButz Hot, Cranberry and Original were on the table when the food was put out. They devoured the Original and had lots of questions like....where did you get this??? Personally, I'm kinda fond of the Cranberry cause of its cute label.

MOINKs
Simply Marvelous Cherry rub
Big Butz Original BBQ sauce
They were cooked on the ever so awesome Frogmats. I don't know how i ever cooked without them.

I purchased the most of the rubs and one of the BBQ sauces from
GreenLeaf BBQ in Livermore. Great store, great people

BBQ Beans
I normally would have added more Ketchup and Honey but reduced those portions and substituted BigButz Hot BBQ sauce. I made a huge pot of beans and they were almost all gone. Putting some of the cooked point meat in the beans and cooking in the Dutch oven for about 2 hours made this one nice eat.

bovineandmarvelouscherry.jpg

Rubbed and ready
rubbedbrisket.jpg

The folded brisket
justontheegg.jpg

Pulled after 11-1/2 hours
brisketpulled.jpg

Getting ready to slather some of the tips
pointwithbutz.jpg

The bean fixin's
beanfixins.jpg

One happy family!!
happyfamily.jpg

Plated brisket with the remains of the MOINKs and burnt tips
slicedbrisketandmoinkswithtips.jpg

This was the first packer I had ever cooked, but I have gotten great advice from the Brethren. It came out great and 9 pounds are gone.

The real surprise was the beans. They were over the top. I think cooking them on the BGE and Tom's Big Butz BBQ sauce addition did it.

Thanks so much for looking.

John, I don't know which picture to use. Too much food! AAAAGH!

Back