November BOD Meeting - Other Issues of Interest

Jeff_in_KC

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
There was some suggestion that KCBS look into doing a live Internet broadcast of the banquet when the announcement of the BOD election and the ToY results were announced, similar to what was done at The Jack. The Chairman of the Technology Committee stated that he objected to that because it might keep members from paying to attend live. WHAT??? Seriously???

On another interesting note, apparently someone DID request the so-called nepotism issue be discussed again. It was not publicly revealed who had requested it as we obviously were not given copies of the notes that Board members had. But Mike Lake brought the topic up and stated that the Board had voted it down three times in the past and that the Board will not entertain any questions on the issue tonight.

I was told that the goal of the nepotism discussion was to get it on the election ballot to have the members vote on it.

Hey Jeff,
What happened with this item from the agenda?

Discussion of breach of confidentiality of executive session by member of the Board

Hey Jeff,
What happened with this item from the agenda?

Discussion of breach of confidentiality of executive session by member of the Board

Ray, they moved that into the executive session. I don't know what happened on it.

I think the breach of fiduciary from a board member is a valid reason to have an executive session, but these tips can help with overall transparency issues and prevent the board from declaring executive session because the topic is heated or because they feel they have heard enough, so to speak. I think all votes should be open except when dealing with disciplinary action of board members, executive reviews or obviously sensitive legal or financial issues. But I do believe that the minutes of those meeting should be revealed to the members without names of the those making comments or the recording of the vote, just the voting results. One board I was on played it like the Supreme Court. When a sensitive vote was taken, the decision was revealed through a report, but a dissenting report was also created. This prevented the tedious nature of minutes and allowed for the logic of both sides of the issue to present their logic on the issue. I thought that was pretty neat.

I think the breach of fiduciary from a board member is a valid reason to have an executive session, but these tips can help with overall transparency issues and prevent the board from declaring executive session because the topic is heated or because they feel they have heard enough, so to speak. I think all votes should be open except when dealing with disciplinary action of board members, executive reviews or obviously sensitive legal or financial issues. But I do believe that the minutes of those meeting should be revealed to the members without names of the those making comments or the recording of the vote, just the voting results. One board I was on played it like the Supreme Court. When a sensitive vote was taken, the decision was revealed through a report, but a dissenting report was also created. This prevented the tedious nature of minutes and allowed for the logic of both sides of the issue to present their logic on the issue. I thought that was pretty neat.

Issues can be discussed in executive session. ALL motions and votes must be taken publicly and published in mimutes. KCBS follows that procedure. There are no secret motions or votes which are not recorded. (at lease while I have served as Secretary.)
Merl

There was some suggestion that KCBS look into doing a live Internet broadcast of the banquet when the announcement of the BOD election and the ToY results were announced, similar to what was done at The Jack. The Chairman of the Technology Committee stated that he objected to that because it might keep members from paying to attend live. WHAT??? Seriously???
Live broadcasts? Wow, I would suggest the Technology Dept of the KCBS instead continue to work on the improved contest scoring system with integrated team points reporting and ranking system that has been promised to be in place for the last couple of years, but not yet provided to us. Jeff, a friend of mine and of many members, member Paul Ostrom comes to mind to contact if you get elected, if you agree with me that we need someone capable to help in the technology department.........

Cause watching TOY live I like watching the JACK awards except much less thrilling. I know I am going to Phiily to watch the TOY awards and Election results. It is what I live for.

No, an Internet broadcast is not urgent but is it something a majority of those who could not attend would support? I bet so. I know I'D watch it if I wasn't going to Philadelphia. And it's nowhere near the big project or cost that scoring software would be. Why not do both? :cool: Greg, it's obvious Paul knows something about this and would be an excellent resource. Plus Paul is a hell of a good guy! :wink:

Issues can be discussed in executive session. ALL motions and votes must be taken publicly and published in mimutes. KCBS follows that procedure. There are no secret motions or votes which are not recorded. (at lease while I have served as Secretary.)
Merl

Merl, I did not mean to impugn you or any one on the KCBS board presently or in the past. I hope you did not take my comment in that manner.

Thank you for explaining the KCBS system, I really should have read the by-laws before I commented.

Last edited:
Sure we should be able to watch the awards on the KCBS Members only Forum

Live broadcasts? Wow, I would suggest the Technology Dept of the KCBS instead continue to work on the improved contest scoring system with integrated team points reporting and ranking system that has been promised to be in place for the last couple of years, but not yet provided to us. Jeff, a friend of mine and of many members, member Paul Ostrom comes to mind to contact if you get elected, if you agree with me that we need someone capable to help in the technology department.........

I agree Greg.... Let's face it. We know who wins what in the TOY before we even head to Philly, why the urgency now to broadcast it live? Concentrate on what has been promised us by Mike McCloud since January 2007. Oh, maybe it's because the Shigs embarassed KCBS at the Jack this year? Nah...

Back