• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

UDS - Exhaust - 8 small holes vs smoke stack

My 85 and two 55 gallon drums have both Weber lids and barrel lids with eight 1/2" exhaust vents. My 15 gallon Mini has four 1/2" exhaust vents and Smokey Joe lid and the 30 gallon has an 18" Weber lid because it came w/o a lid.

I have experimented with a flat top lid with a Weber daisy wheel exhaust vent (4 hole) and it also worked fine, as with using a Weber lid I found meats cooked directly beneath the vent cooked faster.
So I actually prefer to cook with the drum lids with the 8 vent holes.

Mine are all Big Drum Smoker Clones, and I never cook indirect with them-thats what WSM's are for! www.bigdrumsmoker.com

I cook with all exhaust holes open on top and 90% of the time I have 2 air intakes open at the bottom.
I have 4 air intakes around the bottom of the drum. 3- 3/4" holes with pipe nipples and 1- 3/4" ball valve.

The drum has been working great for years.

100_5969-1.jpg

My new BPS drum has the 8 hole wheel exhaust.

5bfcaea8.jpg

894be628.jpg

33a1e875.jpg

and two strips of intake holes around the bottom..just slide to open as many air holes as needed.

df06fadf.jpg

Love this BPS drum too.. works great! :thumb:

I went with a 2 inch exhaust right off the bung. With a small piece of stainless for a damper. works great!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357927861.119830.jpg

I went with the 8 holes and it works just fine. I love to see the puffs of thin blue smoke exiting those holes.

Did't have the bung so I added 2 stacks. Cut another hole and go diesel style :thumb:

Last edited:
I had a friend helping me with mine and he mistakenly drilled eight 13/16" exhaust holes in my lid. They're just a tad larger than 3/4" so I should be okay right? I bought some plugs to use if that's too much exhaust.

My question is should I run it with 8 vents open or plug 2 of them and go with 6? I have three 3/4" intake holes if that makes a difference.

Depends on what all you want your UDS to do. With my flat lid I could check the meat temps without removing the lid, look at the meat to see how it looked, rotate the exhaust opening to adjust where more heat is needed ( where there is draft/flow, there is more heat for the most part). I found a chimney to be a plus on windy days. I had the holesaw, the aluminum flashing, screw, washer and used coffee can.
I also found controlling the outlet is second to controlling the inlet..actually just controlling the air flow period.
fwl3.jpg

u0pl.jpg

But then again I run my UDS from 180 to 700+ degrees

jeanie nice set up . Did you thread the holes for a tight fit ?

jeanie nice set up . Did you thread the holes for a tight fit ?

Thanks! As far as the lid....I use threaded pipe plugs. Screw them in when the drum is not in use. Could have used regular ole pipe plugs and dropped them in but this gives it a good tight seal.

For the air intake, I used threaded pipe nipples. Close three nipples with caps and the 4th one I attached a ball valve. I rarely use the ball valve and would leave it off the next build.

Back