***POLL - BBQ Brethren Throwdown - Should entries match the category???

What option so you prefer in handling entries that do not match the Throwdown category?

• Add a new rule requiring entries must match the criteria or be DQ'ed

Votes: 55 56.7%
  • Leave things the fark alone already and let the voters deal with this chit!

Votes: 42 43.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I don't know why I didn't do this first!:doh:

LET THE VOTERS DECIDE!:thumb:

First off, this is not a major point of contention for anyone, but a speedbump that needs to be ridden over, or driven around.

So let's handle this in the spirit of the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns by letting the Brethren decide how to handle this.

The issue at hand is whether to allow entries that do not match the current category into the Voting Thread for Throwdowns.

For example, if a Chicken Sandwich is entered in a Burger Throwdown, or for an extreme example (Heaven forbid), if Teriyaki Grilled Tofu Lettuce Wraps was entered in a Pork Ribs Throwdown.

Should these entries be disqualified, or should they be allowed in?

Please bear in mind these points of view...
View #1 - After discussing this at some length with others, my concern is not so much these dishes WINNING, but about people entering the Throwdowns simply to get no votes in order to join the Zero's Club. In my opinion that brings down the Throwdowns to where they become a means to get a guaranteed win at another thing that should rightfully be earned.
View #2 - If someone wants to post a picture of something that doesn't match the category in order to get zero votes, that is fine because some voters out there may actually like the dish and vote for it. So they would still have to earn it, and would probably still lose in the Throwdown by not getting enough votes from those who see it does not match the category.

Please take some time and think about it. Don't just vote a knee-jerk reaction to this, give it some real thought.

Here are the voting options...

Add a new rule requiring entries must match the criteria or be DQ'ed. This is really both a rule and a new description of the category. The rule is clear, the entry must match the category or be DQ'ed. The decription would state in the most basic form what criteria must be met in order for a dish to qualify. For example, a Burger Throwdown could have the following description for what qualifies:
The entry must be made using a patty from either ground meat or meat substitute (good luck with that one).

Leave things the fark alone already and let the voters deal with this chit! This is pretty dang self explanatory I think.

I voted and I appreciate you taking the time to get everybody's input. I would like to add that you might consider not changing the rule until after the Burger throwdown as it seems that the panko chicken burger sandwich thing was a good faith attempt to enter the contest with no intent at derailing the voting or garnering a zero (my opinion only). No matter what you decide to do in the future throwdowns, it seems best to let the burger throwdown simply play out.

Whatever you decide with the burger contest and future throwdowns, I fully support your judgement.

While I, as one of the people that was an early adopter of the Zero Club concept am a strong believer in the Zero Club, I don't see a need for this to become more complicated than it already is. Too many rules and it isn't fun anymore. I think that is in the Brethren Spirit as well, let us decide what should or should not be a entry.

For those that would purposely enter something to get a '0' to be a part of the Zero Club, come on, a true '0' has to be earned honestly with an inadvertent but sincere attempt to win that for some reason runs into a buzz saw of a winner. I for one, truly thought I deserved at least one vote for each of my entries...how did I farking end up not voting for myself?, I digress... I just think this should be left alone and let's all have some honor in Throwdowns.

Hmm, it would seem to me that both ways would have the same over all result - the person that submits a non-category matching entry would in 99% of cases not win the TD.

The Zero's club is another matter to be dealt with seperately IMO.

If I'm not mistaken, Gordon is mod of that club, perhaps there should be a change to his rule as to how many Zero's a person would need to gain entry to the club... or that a person would have to demonstrate that their entry was made with the intent of actually gettin TD votes. (To be perfectly honest, I think that there were a few beef rib entries that had such poor looking pics that I have a hard time believing they were trying to win in the first place...)
That could be left to a voting poll too, if a person thinks they have met the criteria for the club, a poll could be cast to see if they are allowed in??

I'm just thinking out my butt here... as usual. :bow:

I dunno, I think some folks participate to have fun, they know that if RTD or a few of the other guys (CRS strikes again) enter they won't win. It is all in fun and part of participating in one of the group activities on here. I don't think it is all about posting only a great photo. I would hate to see people not posting for fear of having their photos panned, or for getting a '0', I think the Zero Club was designed to make it ok to get a 'ought'

I dunno, I think some folks participate to have fun, they know that if RTD or a few of the other guys (CRS strikes again) enter they won't win. It is all in fun and part of participating in one of the group activities on here. I don't think it is all about posting only a great photo. I would hate to see people not posting for fear of having their photos panned, or for getting a '0', I think the Zero Club was designed to make it ok to get a 'ought'

Sure, and the point of the whole dang thing is really to teach eachother new things or inspire to try and just have fun at the end of it all...

But since the Nadda club has come about, it seems that there has been a few "reaching" for membership... it is a tough thing to moderate since none can know a person's tru intent. Maybe the best thing to do is not mod at all - let it be and unless something gets out of hand, don't worry about it.

As Chris says, let the voters decide!

As my next entry for whatever the next TD is going to be, I'd like to submit this! I will be making a turd sammich using recycled burnt ends and pulled pork. No sauce required. :mod:

Ssammich_450.jpg

Either this thread just got alot better or is destined to die... either way, sorry Chris! :becky:

Of all the photos you have posted, and there have been some great ones, this one falls far short. Far Far Short.:tsk:

Last edited:
Well, it is Q-talk, so I should have known better. But, it is The Brethren, so it is also possible for anything to happen. You can see my dilemma right?

I think that as long as the entry is consistent with the rules it is a true attempt to get votes. Poor picture quality should not automatically throw up red flags on an entry. We have had some people offer us advise on taking better pics to help us because we seemed to have good ideas but bad pics. Thanks to everyone who wanted to help in true bretheren spirit.

As my next entry for whatever the next TD is going to be, I'd like to submit this! I will be making a turd sammich using recycled burnt ends and pulled pork. No sauce required. :mod:

Ssammich_450.jpg

Either this thread just got alot better or is destined to die... either way, sorry Chris! :becky:

HOLY FARK! :hand:

Once you gotta follow the criteria, you gotta argue about that.
Burger, Ricks Burger is a Burger in my opinion, remember Eddie Murphy? Wonderbread and peppers and onions sticking out of the meat.The kid doesnt acknowledge it as burger because its not round and McDonalds like. Is the burger the meat alone? Or only with bread, if so, round and with sesame?
Dont we have to much legislation already and I think grown ups that can tell a good pic of a burger when they see one!

remember when i said it will never be the same. it is already not the same and money is not on the line yet. i don't know folks, this entire throwdown thing has evolved into something it was never intended to be and the rules are changing and being made retroactive. in the beginning it was a friendly contest with no prize. then the winners from the beginning were eligible for a calendar page retroactively. now the proceeds for the calendar sales are to be given to future winners and that is something that wasn't known to me when i gave permission for my photos to be used in the calendar. these are my thoughts and feeling and if my thoughts and feeling cause chris to author a thread with a bunch of 'farks' in it, then so be it.

zero club? ridiculous.

p.s. btw, it's been a long time since i even came close to winning so i am no threat.

p.s.s. "should entries match the category?" it's intuitively obvious to even the casual observer...

YES!

Last edited:
That pic is disgusting and off putting.. :focus: Yes of course the entries should match the catagory...shouldn't have to be a rule..it's a given!!

I had a nice long response typed out explaining my "Yes" vote, then I hit the wrong button and endep up on my home page...

Summary - Q-Talk should be for serious competitors, i.e. - matching the criteria. Show a little respect for the intent of the contest/contestants

Woodpile is for "The new throwdown gave me this crazy, off topic idea..."

No idea how to determine/enforce it, though. no one wants a totalitarian regime here...

Maybe we should have 2 categories:
Pro Division: Previous winners of throw down entry
Amateur Division: Beginners,Life Long Zero club members, Back yarders

The Pro status winners might receive another smilie(feather in the cap/winner) designation in their profile to help with easy identification.
or
With a Large Cash payment you could buy into Pro Status...

Well, maybe not...
jon

I voted to leave things alone. Chris has always said to let the voters decide, so if that's the way it was, then that's the way it should be!

I do think that this is a good discussion because I have wondered if there are some that are reaching out a bit too far. Maybe they will think twice before they submit the next entry.

It is the spirit of the contest, isn't it? Just my .02

Wow I log on this morning and I was suprised to see all of this come from my chicken burger. I am fine with the dq and I am not bitter with Chris or anyone. I say I just take the dq let's drop all this because we don't need anymore rules or complaining on the matter. I didn't enter the picture to get a zero either and it's honestly the best picture I have ever entered. I love the throwdowns it makes me cook better and try new things that on my own I probably wouldn't do. It also gives me great ideas and thanks to Rick I decided to try the panko and I'm really glad I did. See learned something new. I'd like to see them stay and not be complicated but just a fun thing to participate in. Because for me this site is about the fun and people not about winning anything. For me it's all about cooking outside and sharing it with others. I'm not upset that I will not be winning the $10,000 cash prize and free trip to the bunny ranch.

Back