Well, I didn't get the gig...

thenewguy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was too high. Here's what I had figured.
Lunch meal for 200 people, mostly men.
Pulled pork sandwich/ grilled chicken breast sandwich, 3 sides- bbq pit beans, cheezy potatoes and chilled pasta salad. They also requested a salad and dessert.
In my best calculations I bid the job at $12 per person.
I really don't think I was too high, although the local shane's rib shack(which is gawd awlful) has a price quoted on their website of "around $9 for the same amount of sides and meat. and that would NOT include salad and dessert.
Any thoughts?

I would see if you can find out why you didn't get the job. That being said, you can't win them all. I think your price would be something I could go for, $12 a head seems reasonable to me.

They had another bid that was a "couple of dollars cheaper". It also wasn't bbq, so that's fine by me. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being unrealistic in my pricing structure-I've been known to cook on the cheap!LOL!
I'll find out in a few weeks what they paid(my sis-in-law is on the board) so it'll be interestingto see how I fared.

If it's not all BBQ you can't compare for the sake of figuring it out. It's obvious they wanted food that was cheap.

WOuld have been $17.99 here, but I mostly operate out of Ventura and Santa Barbara.

He uses white linen table cloths
elings.jpg

Times are hard right now. Caterers are bidding very low. I was underbid on a dinner for Ducks Unlimited and I was underbid on a dinner for NRA. These are dinners that I have done for several years. My saying is "I have enough experience, I would like to make some money now."

Your bid seems to be in the right area---and the other bidder was not bidding BBQ. BBQ is more labor intensive than a deli putting together deli-meat sandwiches, a bag of chips and some "Little Debbie" desserts.

Do not get discouraged. Keep bidding honestly and work will come. I have bid BBQ tri-tip sandwiches,and the other bid tri-tip sandwiches but served something else--I guarantee that I will get the next job without bidding.

Keep your head up.

It's tough on a gig that size... folks that have a restaraunt to put excess back into to churn out as a "special" or something... generally have a lower cost model.

Around here, I have seen that go for as cheap as $8 and as high as $15... depending on the organization buying. I would say with salad and dessert, you are as where you should be. someone doing it cheaper is giving them a packaged (Grandma's) cookie and some bulk sides that are going to be passable, but not memorable.

Thanks for the input guys-I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't outta line.
I'll actually probably be attending the event now that I won't be needing to work it...should be interesting. I would rather not get the job, rather than get it and not make a profit-done that too many times in the past!

Never undersell yourself. You'll NEVER compete with rib joints like them because they mass produce cheap, crappy BBQ & make money on quantity vs quality.
Your gig would have been about $15.00 & that's P/U.

Don't sweat it on 200. They'll get what they paid for!

Exactly - That job is 17-19 bucks a head here in LA/OC all day.

I really worked to stop quoting large jobs "blind". I work to find out who all the decision makers are, schedule a meeting or at least a con call to understand what they really want, and deal with the price issue up front. Doesn't always work out or happen that way, but for me it's a way to minimize wasted time. I would rather have someone say "no" so I can move on to the next prospective client.

Back