Orange wood (Pellets) ?

The_Kapn

Moderator Emeritus

Batch Image
Reaction score
Anyone with experience using Orange wood?
I have heard good things, but solid info is scarce.

Have 30# of pure Orange pellets (just off the UPS truck) sitting by CheKeeta.
Just a "whim" to play with :oops:

Cooking some poultry next week to see how they do.

TIM

I am curious as to your results. If you like I may see about getting orange sticks to burn.

Never used, but I have heard the opposite. Eat an orange peel...not good, I've heard or read (i'll see if I can find the source) that you'll get the same type of experience if using orange wood to smoke...very acidic.

Good luck & report back your results.

I used to use BBQ'rs Delight orange pellets for competition chicken. Nice sweet smoke but more assertive than say apple. Main reason I used it is it produces a nice reddish color on the meat.

Great choice for chicken,

Anyone with experience using Orange wood?
I have heard good things, but solid info is scarce.

Have 30# of pure Orange pellets (just off the UPS truck) sitting by CheKeeta.
Just a "whim" to play with :oops:

Cooking some poultry next week to see how they do.

TIM

I used to use BBQ'rs Delight orange pellets for competition chicken. Nice sweet smoke but more assertive than say apple. Main reason I used it is it produces a nice reddish color on the meat.

Great choice for chicken,

Chris, (and others)

That is good to know!
Mid next week will tell :lol:
Gonna use pure Orange on a Turkey Breast and a Duck and see what happens.

Thanks,

TIM

There was a team last weekend in Ft. Lauderdale using orange wood and I really liked the smell. It was kind of light and mild and not to harsh. I cant remember what they were using it on but they did pretty good. Matter of fact they are going to bring me some later this winter. I liked it.,

There's a "famous" steak house in Orlando that uses orange wood. I wasn't too impressed with the steak.

I bet it would be good with poultry.

After scouring my library this weekend I found the negative comments I had read about using Orange wood...it is in "Peace, Love & BBQ" by Mike Mills. In the choosing wood section, he has a note that he has used orange wood & does not recommend it, he states that the meat turned out black & very acidic.

It seems others have tried & liked, so I'm interested in your results...

After scouring my library this weekend I found the negative comments I had read about using Orange wood...it is in "Peace, Love & BBQ" by Mike Mills. In the choosing wood section, he has a note that he has used orange wood & does not recommend it, he states that the meat turned out black & very acidic.

It seems others have tried & liked, so I'm interested in your results...

Papa, I remember seeing that in "Peace, Love, and BBQ" and wondering what Mike had been smoking!

Not orange wood or any other citrus that I know of.

We have been using orange wood to cook/smoke with for 40 years and I like it for most things.
The big problem to me is that once it seasons, it it extremely hard, and does not cut or split easiely. So if you are using it, you have to prep it to size for your cooker while it is green.

I have used it in stick burners, chunks on top of charcoal, and also used the BBQ Delight pellets-not in a pellet pooper, but in foil packets in a cabniet smoker on top of charcoal.

I now live in the midst of a citrus grove, so can gather my own orange wood again, and am looking forward to a free supply of good smoking wood.

BTW, I think Mike Mills is dead on on most things, so I just decided to give him a pass on this one. Probabbly just got some bad wood or something.

What do most of us use on poultry and fish?

Lemon. Lemon is citrus.

I have heard of some very positive results using orange wood. My thinking is that if you use too much, you could over do it. Just like hickory, or other stronger woods, like mesquite.

I will be down in central Fl in 2 weeks, and my brother is going to hook me up with some orange, grapefruit and whatever else he can come up with. I am going to do some experimenting as well.

Maybe we will have a great discussion on citrus wood in the near future.

Back