cutting a boston butt in half?

occva

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Decided to try a butt for the forth. Wife brought home a 15 pounder. Will it cook fine if cut in half? Cant think of any reason it wouldn't, just want to make sure.
Thanks...

A 15# butt is quite large. Are you sure there's not 2 of them in a cryovac pack?
At any rate, I usually cut 7-8 lb'ers in half so they'll cook a little faster and provide more bark.

I think you have 2 as well unless you maybe have the whole shoulder. Yea cut that baby like said above gives more bark, which is the best part

You guys are correct. It is two butts.

So I will cut one in half and get smokin in the morning.

+1 as said above.

Only thing it will affect is more bark.

Personally I prefer cooking as big of a butt that I can find. I've found that it cooks better than a small portion. You can always freeze any leftovers.

Personally I prefer cooking as big of a butt that I can find. I've found that it cooks better than a small portion. You can always freeze any leftovers.

Same here. Plus I get more lean "white" meat from the inside to take out for the women and older folks that don't like bark or much of any fat and prefer a lighter smoke.

I'd leave it whole. For more bark, trim off the fat cap and any other external fat. That will give more nice surface area for bark. There is plenty of internal fat on a butt to keep it moist.

Cutting a large hunk of meat in half doesn't reduce the cooking time that much.

i, personally, wouldn't cut an 8 pound butt in half.

Last edited:
i wouldn't cut in half, especially if it is bone-in, as well as the other reasons above.

I prefer whole, seems to cook better.

Plus, pulled pork is great reheated. Freeze it in Ziplock freezer bags or vacuum seal it. Come dinner time one evening, pull it out, toss it in boiling water and 30 mins later you've got dinner that tastes fresh!

Back