Mad Scientist Pizza Tonight! your thoughts are welcome

CharredApron

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I am trying a new method tonight ( new to me anyway) since I didn't get my fire brick stone built yet. I am going to cut down my granite stone I used to use in my home oven. It is seasoned nicely from many cooks in the oven. I am going to put my lava stone on the grill below my top grill, and the granite stone on the top level to cook the pies on. My last cook resulted in some burnt bottoms not the "I'll tan yur hide, boy" type either. I am hoping that the air space between the two stone will give me a heat barrier and allow for more dome heat from the Kamado.

it's worth a try for sure. i do think, however, that you'd be better served by putting the pie on the bottom stone. then, the radiant heat from the upper stone will cook the top of the pizza as fast as the bottom.

just my cents.

it's worth a try for sure. i do think, however, that you'd be better served by putting the pie on the bottom stone. then, the radiant heat from the upper stone will cook the top of the pizza as fast as the bottom.

just my cents.
Maybe but it is a ceramic cooker. The dome should reach temp.

fair enough, but then the top stone should be the same temp as the bottom stone, thus no "heat barrier". i do like the idea though of raising the pie closer to the dome.

but i don't cook on a ceramic, so i'm kinda just throwing things out there.

looking forward to some pron!

fair enough, but then the top stone should be the same temp as the bottom stone, thus no "heat barrier". i do like the idea though of raising the pie closer to the dome.

but i don't cook on a ceramic, so i'm kinda just throwing things out there.

looking forward to some pron!
Well the the bottom stone as you know is the indirect shield, the upper stone is much closer to the dome. I am getting ready to post the PrOn and it was a minor success.

The results are in....Not Pepe's

I made the mistake of buying dough because I wanted to prove my theory. The results are in and the set-up prevented the dreaded burned bottom, but the dough didn't give me the rise and browning I expected.

Attachments

• pizza final 007.jpg
    pizza final 007.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 109
looks decent on the bottom, top looks a little pale, but, you appear to be close.

Gettin there! I really think it is the dough. When I make my own it is usually 65% hydration which accounts for the spring in the crust. This dough was really glutenous and hard to stretch. It worked for my test though!:grin:

I cook my pizza on the highest rack of a BigSteelKeg on a stone.
The heat rolls around the sides and over on these, I use no heat deflection at all.
Rather than radiant energy, pizza is cooked by heated air, right?

I would use a bigger heat diffuser stone on the bottom. Will save your pie bottom and allow enough time for the heat to cook and crisp the top of the pie. I just did pizza the other day and had my pit up to around 500 degrees. If you don't mind me asking how hot are you cooking at?

I cook my pizza on the highest rack of a BigSteelKeg on a stone.
The heat rolls around the sides and over on these, I use no heat deflection at all.
Rather than radiant energy, pizza is cooked by heated air, right?
That is true, but without deflection on a kamado the bottom burns before the top cooks through.I am looking for radiant heat from the dome.

I would use a bigger heat diffuser stone on the bottom. Will save your pie bottom and allow enough time for the heat to cook and crisp the top of the pie. I just did pizza the other day and had my pit up to around 500 degrees. If you don't mind me asking how hot are you cooking at?
No harm in asking...I was at 550

Bring temp down to right between 490-515 with a little bigger heat diffuser stone under and I think you will have a nicely cooked pie. I will be making some more tomorrow and posting some pics hopefully my cook goes as well as the last one and I get nice crispy crust with a little touch of blackening on the bottom. Personally I like a little blackening I feel it gives it true charcoal cooked wood fire taste. But agreed of course a completely blackened bottom is no good

Back