• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smokin' in the Snow on the UDS

HeSmellsLikeSmoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Well, I learned something new today.

The snow falling on the Performer lid cooled off the built-in dome therm considerably. I had to crank up the heat much more than normal to run the pit at what I thought was 250 dome temp. They were done in just over 2 hours! Must have been 350 or so at the grate. All racks have good pullback and passed the bend test.

I am holding them in the oven right now, wrapped in butcher paper, for what will be 2 hours by the time they are served.

It's family so no real pressure but I am very interested in how they turn out.

28e56b1d7010f0b5ab285ab06198f1fd_zps339f90e7.jpg

Can you look directly at your UDS when the sun is shining?:wink:

That's a good reason to have a grate thermometer such as an ET-732. I suppose a decent BBQ style thermometer mounted just below grate level (so as not to be in the way when you remove the grate) would work as well.

I'm sure the ribs will be great!

There is something peaceful about smoking or grilling in the snow.

I'm confused about something, however. Why would snow on the dial of the thermometer change the reading? The sensor is at the tip of the stem, which was inside the UDS.

That's a good reason to have a grate thermometer such as an ET-732. I suppose a decent BBQ style thermometer mounted just below grate level (so as not to be in the way when you remove the grate) would work as well.

I'm sure the ribs will be great!

I have 2 ET-73's but I usually have the dome therm dialed in without them so never bother to use them on the UDS.

There is something peaceful about smoking or grilling in the snow.

I'm confused about something, however. Why would snow on the dial of the thermometer change the reading? The sensor is at the tip of the stem, which was inside the UDS.

Ron, I think you are right! I will test that therm. It happened when it was really snowing and I just jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Back