2011 Chest to Chest qualifiers

bignburlyman

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
The 2011 Chest to Chest qualifier list is online at www.centralkansasbbq.com , click on Chest to Chest icon. We are trying to get the addresses of all the teams so we can mail an invitation, we probably only have half of the addresses so far. If anyone believes an error has been made let me know and I will get it checked out. The list is also attached.

Attachments

• Chest to Chest Inv List 2011.xls
    51.5 KB · Views: 98
Can you tell us the 2011 Chest to Chest date?

Sorry, should have thought of that. The judging for the 2011 Chest to Chest will be Friday evening, Sept. 2, 2011. Followed on Sat. Sept 3 by Central Kansas BBQ Contest Part 1, then on Sun. Sept 4 by Part 2.

It'd be great to see some qualifiers added in the southeast :thumb:

Also in the West.

It's surprising that the Sam's Club Invitational was included either.

Kent is open to adding new contest's and areas to the qualifier list, but the contest organizer needs to contact him, he doesn't add contests without talking it over with the organizer. That is why Sam's wasn't on the list. Also, it doesn't need to be a KCBS contest, several of the qualifiers are from IBCA. The judging though is based on KCBS criteria.

Another thing that's a little tricky is realistically how many teams from the West coast or East coast would make the trip to Central Kansas? It's great that Hawgs Gone Smokin is coming from Pennsylvania, and we did have Cool Smoke in from Virginia in 2010. There are still MANY contests in Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Colorado that are not qualifiers. We do want the Chest to Chest to grow and will consider all contests, it will just take a little discussion.

I'm assuming that the C2C cooks dinner is at the same location this year? For those that have qualified, Kelly Wertz does a FINE prime rib!

I'm assuming that the C2C cooks dinner is at the same location this year? For those that have qualified, Kelly Wertz does a FINE prime rib!

The crowd at the 2009 Chest to Chest cooks meeting and Prime Rib dinner prompted the 2010 Prime Rib dinner to be served at the Armory at the contest site. We were afraid 4 Legs Up would not have enough room. It was still delicious. Missed having you there!

Not sure right now if the Prime Rib dinner will be at the restaurant, or at the contest site for 2011.

Kent is open to adding new contest's and areas to the qualifier list, but the contest organizer needs to contact him, he doesn't add contests without talking it over with the organizer. That is why Sam's wasn't on the list. Also, it doesn't need to be a KCBS contest, several of the qualifiers are from IBCA. The judging though is based on KCBS criteria.

Another thing that's a little tricky is realistically how many teams from the West coast or East coast would make the trip to Central Kansas? It's great that Hawgs Gone Smokin is coming from Pennsylvania, and we did have Cool Smoke in from Virginia in 2010. There are still MANY contests in Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Colorado that are not qualifiers. We do want the Chest to Chest to grow and will consider all contests, it will just take a little discussion.
Some of us crazies :crazy: down here travel well.
I flew to Vermont to help at Harpoon on 2007.
beer.png

I drove from FL to MO in 2008 for the American Royal Inv. :boxing:
I flew to cook the Butt to Butt in Shannon last year. :caked:
And I'm not alone. You might be surprised.

Some of us crazies down here travel well.

There are Western teams that also have a willingness to hit the road. It can't always be done but geography shouldn't be the limiting factor in whether or not an event qualifies for inclusion.

There are Western teams that also have a willingness to hit the road. It can't always be done but geography shouldn't be the limiting factor in whether or not an event qualifies for inclusion.

Vince, I understand where you are coming from. I can't speak for Kent or David, but at some point they have to consider how many qualifiers there will be in order to insure that there is space for those that will travel. Besides C2C there are now two contests that follow it. I know the year that I was there, Sweet Peppers made the trip.

I'd take David's advice, and have organizers for the contests that you plan to do contact Kent to see what they can work out if you'd really like to go.

That being said, it is a big list of contests, so cook one on the list, if you want to come.
Look at the Butt to Butt -- it is a much smaller list of events. But if you want to get in, you gotta win one. I've missed it twice by just a fraction of a point. BUT this year, winning pork at the Jack got me my entry.

But jst like David said, have your organizers call Kent. He is about the most flexible guy I know. Very accommodating. And he is definately about the teams. I had to miss the chest to chest last year, due to the change in weekends, but I dont plan on missing it this year - or ever again for that matter :) It is a blast, and it is heads up. if you won it, all the judges liked it... not just six! No I don't have a tripod of penii like Slabs do, but I definately want to have more than just one walkin stick :)

chest to chest???

butt to butt???

Come on guys... I only have so much self control. Yer killin' me...

chest to chest???

butt to butt???

Come on guys... I only have so much self control. Yer killin' me...

Don't forget breast to breast and bone to bone. Oh wait. No chicken or rib contest to qualify for.

Is chest to chest KCBS rules?

It is based on KCBS rules, appearance, taste, & tenderness are the scoring criteria. Garnish is optional and 1 year we used foil pans for the turn in to have room for enough samples for 18 judges. 12 to 18 judges score appearance with only one 9 per judge allowed, the other appearance scores use one decimal point, scores can be from 2 to 8.9. Then each judge scores for taste and tenderness, using the 2 to 9 score range (in the future taste and tenderness will use scores out to 1 decimal point also). The low score is dropped. We always try to have an impartial observer with bbq competition experience in the room to monitor the judging. It is truly an honor to judge the Chest to Chest as the teams have all been champions at a contest to qualify, and produce some excellent entries.

Some of us crazies :crazy: down here travel well.
I flew to Vermont to help at Harpoon on 2007.
beer.png

I drove from FL to MO in 2008 for the American Royal Inv. :boxing:
I flew to cook the Butt to Butt in Shannon last year. :caked:

I am going to speak only for myself right now, I don't want anyone to think I am speaking for Kent or the Barton County Fair which sanctions the contest.

I would love to have teams the quality of Swamp Boys and Rhythm n Que, along with all the many other great teams from all over the US qualify for the Chest to Chest. If anyone could recommend some quality contests from the South West, West Coast, Pacific Northwest, Northeast/New England, East Coast, and Southeast I would take the list to Kent for consideration. Kent would still need to visit with the organizer before they would become a qualifier. I think the only thing Kent asks is the contest advertise that they are a qualifing site. It would be great to include teams from all across the nation, and eventually I think we will get there, it will just take time.

That's not altogether accurate. I was sitting in the room when someone called Kent on the phone and Warrensburg was added on the spot a couple of years ago. On another note, Kent told me that St. Joseph, MO could qualify yet I don't see that one (or us) on the list.

Back