Ok to cure bacon @ 45 degrees?

Chronos

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I thought my kegerator ran colder but I just measured the temp and found it's been about 45-48 for the last 2 days that I've been starting to cure my bacon.

I am using Prague powder #1 with the right amount of it, so will that ensure it's safe?

Not technically an answer but basic food regs state that bacteria can grow between 40-140 degrees.

It's supposed to be below 40F, I'm sure you already know that though.

Supposed to... Yes I knew that. HAS to.... I wasn't sure. If it's has to then I'll have to toss it and try again.

It's my first go round so there was bound to be some false starts.

It's supposed to be below 40F, I'm sure you already know that though.

At those temps for 2 days I don't think I'd chance eating it.

I would roll with it as the pink salt on the outside will work as a barrier. then add smoke and heat, I would expect no issues.

i'm presuming you are keeping the bacon in sealed/Ziploc bags which will preclude the introduction of any additional possible wee bugs. as the cure seeps into the meat and draws out moisture, the environment would be toxic to any bug in the environment even at 45F.

just my .02$

I'd probably keep it. Once meat's cured it can be dried safely in environments up to 59F, and if it only had 2 days left in the cure I'd bet it'd be fine to eat

Tightly wrapped in a few layers of saran wrap and then in a gallon ziploc bag with as little air as possible.

I'm flip flopping here, but I think I'll keep it going and do a 200 degree smoke until it's in the 150s internal, which I saw in one of the recommended guides.

Between that and frying it in the pan I'll be willing to give it a go.

I would roll with it as the pink salt on the outside will work as a barrier. then add smoke and heat, I would expect no issues.

i'm presuming you are keeping the bacon in sealed/Ziploc bags which will preclude the introduction of any additional possible wee bugs. as the cure seeps into the meat and draws out moisture, the environment would be toxic to any bug in the environment even at 45F.

just my .02$

Technically, you should be okay, as Prague Powder is a true cure, and the sodium nitrite should inhibit spoilage. Heritage bacon is cured warmer than 40°F under most practices. The reason this is not a good idea for home curing, is that the volumes of chemicals have to be correct. Still, you should be fine.

Bacon has been cured in temps warmer than what you're talking. Think about how warm it gets in a smoke house. Meats and sausages stay in them for several days if not longer.
As others have said, the curing salt should prevent any bacteria from growing.

Think about what cures were originally used for, who used them, and what sort of refrigeration was available to them. Should help to keep you from being too afraid of 45 degrees.

If it was me in your situation I would roll with it. With the cure I dont think you have much to worry about. When meats were cured before refrigeration was around they depended on out side temp and im sure there were times the temps rose above 45

To me the key phrase here is "starting to cure". We don't know how long the cure has been on the meat and how thick the meat is, but if we assume that it is a typical pork belly that is about two inches thick, and the cure has been on for two days, it is unlikely to be fully cured.

Meat is cheaper than doctors. I'd start over.

Back