• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What's better than beer? Smoked beer

marubozo

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I've started smoking beer. Not all are good smoked, but those that are, taste amazing. This is an applewood smoked Upland porter.

49590359496_8394a707e7_c.jpg

You should try to find a rauchbier. It is a German style that uses smoked malt.
The Upland porter seems like one that would be really good with some smoke added.
What is that that you’re using?

Smoked beers are amazing. I make a mesquite smoked porter once a year, love beers like that. I like how you did it, I want to try that.

Jeremy,
Just when I thought I've seen it all all along comes this.... Sounds pretty interesting! Is it a quick smoke? Like less than 30 seconds? Let's hear the details :-D

Thanks,
Greg

I've made a grodziskie (oaked smoked wheat), but used store bought smoked grain. I would like to try making other rauchbier using home smoked malt.

Jeremy,
Just when I thought I've seen it all all along comes this.... Sounds pretty interesting! Is it a quick smoke? Like less than 30 seconds? Let's hear the details :-D

Thanks,
Greg

It's a quick smoke using a smoking gun. Less than a minute.

Obviously, the smoke isn't penetrating all that beer. But what does happen is it smokes the foam on top of the beer and the smoke sticks to the glass. So with every sip you're getting a hint of smoke through the nose, which makes it taste smoky.

It's more for dramatic presentation for the customers since we bring the entire smoke filled cloche to the table and the customer gets to reveal their smoky treasure in the dining room.

I brewed a porter last year.
I smoked a bunch of Missouri Black Walnuts and put them in the boil.

It was very good.

Hmmmmm....I have a smoke gun and do something similar with bourbon drinks....gotta try beer

Light a cinnamon stick.
Blow it out.
Put a rocks glass over the top.
Mix whiskey drink in a different glass.
Lift rocks glass off of cinnamon stick
Pour drink into it
enjoy.

Changes the drink entirely because your nose plays tricks on you.

I also smoke water and pour it into large cube trays and freeze.
Adds a nice smoke to a manhattan.

Here's to the original smokebeer: https://www.schlenkerla.de/indexe.html

Yep, I've been there. Yep, it's delicious. Amazingly, I can find it locally here at Spec's liquor stores. Great stuff.

This brand is definitely the gold standard and should be available practically anywhere in the US. There are multiple different styles of Rauchbier they make with the Marzen being the most ubiquitous.

If you happen to have a local craft brewer that specializes in lagers they are more likely to have a smoked beer option.

You gotta try Smoked Ice Cubes too!
In the summertime, I've been known to smoke some water, then turn them into ice cubes.
I use them in an Old Fashioned or any bourbon drink really. I'm sure there are other beverages that would benefit from a hint of smoke flavor too.

If we had a freezer here I'd be all about smoked ice cubes. I'll have to try it at home and see how it goes. Would be great for cocktails.

Back