Corned Beef/Pastrami

Bentley

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I have been brining a brisket for the last 5 days. The TQ reciept call for 5 days per inch. Today was day 5 and I thought it would be ready, was gonna vac seal the flat, but it was a little cumbersom so I cut off a hunk. To my surprise it was almost complete, but still about a 1/2 inch in the center not cured. I measured the cut and it was just shy of 2 inches. Back in the cure. My question to anyone who has experience or knowledge in this, can I over cure this thing? Should I let it go five more days, this is a wet brine. I dont know if you can see the very center cut of the meat but it is a different color. A few pictures showing the progress.

Is it true that smoked corned beef is pastraime? If so, can you cold smoke the pastraime and then finish it in the pit. A friend in the CBBQA has lent me a cold smoker attachment for my 075 and ask if I woud do some testing for him.

http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n90/lwnna/

I'm not sure if you can over cure or not. I usually let my soak for three weeks, but the amount of time needed would really depend on the amount of TQ in the brine. If you followed the TQ recommended amount, I doubt that 5 more days would hurt.

The packers that i get as corned beef weight between 11 & 14 pounds, they have been "corned" for 21 days by the butcher, the thickness ranges from 2" - 3" depending ont he cut, Pastrami is just corned beef seasoned and smoked, i use a dry rub of ground corriander seed and black pepper corns rubbed all over, i smoke it at 235 for 7-8 hours turning it once or twice, temp varies between 165-180, pull from smoker, wrap in foil let sit for two hours, then slice. good luck :-D

I have been brining a brisket for the last 5 days. The TQ reciept call for 5 days per inch. Today was day 5 and I thought it would be ready, was gonna vac seal the flat, but it was a little cumbersom so I cut off a hunk. To my surprise it was almost complete, but still about a 1/2 inch in the center not cured. I measured the cut and it was just shy of 2 inches. Back in the cure. My question to anyone who has experience or knowledge in this, can I over cure this thing? Should I let it go five more days, this is a wet brine. I dont know if you can see the very center cut of the meat but it is a different color. A few pictures showing the progress.

Is it true that smoked corned beef is pastraime? If so, can you cold smoke the pastraime and then finish it in the pit. A friend in the CBBQA has lent me a cold smoker attachment for my 075 and ask if I woud do some testing for him.

http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n90/lwnna/

I have a 075 and I have brined my brisket for five days using TQ and then put it on the 075 on medium for about 6 hours or until it hits a internal temp of 165 and had the best pastrami you would ever hope to have. I dont think you can over cure it, just remember if your shooting for pastrami let that bad boy soak for at least an hour in cold water before smoking or your just going to have smoked corned beef!

Thanks guys! 47 years old and it never dawned on me pastrami was corned beef smoked brisket! Any idea how long it should be cold smoked? My tempetures are about 94 degrees.

Thanks guys! 47 years old and it never dawned on me pastrami was corned beef smoked brisket! Any idea how long it should be cold smoked? My tempetures are about 94 degrees.

Have no idea about "cold smoking".

I, like others, just smoke corned beef at normal temps of 225 to 275 till the meat temp is 140-160 and it is Pastrami!

TIM

I make "Buckboard Brisket" which is just brisket using the buckboard bacon cure. Works great. I have much better luck spending the extra $1 per lb and buying a trimmed brisket. I cure for about 4 or 5 days depending on thickness. Smoke to 160. Good stuff maynard.

You can search on Buckboard brisket for my threads on the subject.

I have bought some TQ, I will try that one of these days.

Back