Preparing to paint Weber lid question

PhilipW

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I need to paint my weber lid silver. It's a new lid so nice and shiny. I'm looking for info on preparing it for paint. It's not just metal painted black, right? Normally, I'd just rough the surface up with sandpaper and go at it, but I'm wondering if that will work on this black.

Any input from somebody that's done this with success would be great.

Don't do it.

Take a look at the white kettle fnbisch bought off cl. That should be a red flag not to paint a shiny new lid.

I'm with the other guy on this one. Don't do it. The porcelain finish is very hard and durable and paint won't stick. But if you must, here is what I did.

Started with a really old and rusty top. More than half of the porcelain was gone already, so it was not too bad of a job. Here is how it looked.

P4240406.jpg

I wire brushed and sanded off the remaining porcelain and rust and primed with an engine paint primer from the auto parts store. Primed pic.

P4250412.jpg

And then finished with a nice, shiny engine red. This is a drum top now.

P6270320.jpg

And finally sitting on it's new home.

P6270323.jpg

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Thanks. Red top looks great.

Makes me wonder if the black can be media blasted off.

Yeah the one I just got was painted for god only know what reason and didn't look great. But it was cheap and I needed one so I'm ok with the trade out. I'm painting it black today. I wish I had the skill to get the sucker as pretty at the red lid on here :). Just gonna take some high temp black rustoleum on it.

What I did was sanded it with 120 ( It didnt do much as expected ) But it did give it a "tooth" for the paint to help bond. I then hit it with some primer and then high temp ceramin Dupli-color paint. I havent had the paint flake yet..

If you're hellbent on painting it, definitely do "something" to prep the surface before you paint. If you don't, it'll look like this:
Drumwrotiss.jpg

:tsk:

I'm sure these guys know a whole lot more about this than I do, but almost a year ago I bought an older Weber just for the lid for a UDS. I wasnh't too concerned about what happened to the paint job later on down the road so I just picked up a can of high temp engine block and had at it. No prep at all. I've cooked on the drum a dozen or so times and have noticed no change in the paint other than grease. It may all peel off tomorrow and if it does I'll just spend the $6.00 for another can of paint. Here's how it looked when I first painted and as I said, not much different now. Also, it sits out in the weather.

022-2.jpg

Back