I need your food saftey thoughts

maxwell7

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
:confused:I'm planning on doing some Kraut and keilbasa , and later some Jambalya with andoille. Well , my sausages have a best by date of 3/11 , and 3/18.Should i toss them??Obviously i'm looking at 19 days and 12 days past best by date! Btw--unopened in original cryo pack!Thanks for your input!

Personally Id rather spend a few dollars than task a risk of food poisoning.

I'm a bit of a chicken with old foods> I was leaning away from using it , and yes, the price isn't worth taking a chance. I asked here because i know you've all been there and done that yourselves. Thanks much!!:mrgreen:

Unless they were frozen in your freezer for well over two - three weeks, toss them...!!!

It's not worth the risk...

IF they were frozen before the expiration dates and don't stink after thawing them out, you should be okay.

That's just me though...

Is this pre-cooked sausage that only needs to be reheated or fresh? I'm guessing that since you say it is in cryo that it is pre-cooked. I'm not an expert here, but if the package says "fully cooked" on it, I would think the risk of food illness is much much lower. I might be tempted... depending on who I'm serving the food to. :wink:

If it is fresh sausage, pitch it.

Back