• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

To brine or inject, that is the question!

joenamy

Reaction score
Im going to smoke a turkey on my UDS for Thanksgiving. Should I use a brine or inject it...or BOTH??? Any help would be great. Thanks to all!!
JOE

I'm doing 4 turkeys next week. 2 in the fryer and 2 on the smoker.

I plan to brine the smokers and inject the fryers.

You're gonna get opinions on both sides. It's gonna really be up to you.

I still say BRINE though.....:blah:

I did a test run with 2 chickens on Sunday. 1 with brine and the other with a coating of salt.
Let them sit overnight in the fridge (brined one in a pot and the salted one lightly covered).
Both turned out great but we all agreed that the salted on had much more flavor and was just a moist. Even though they are chickens it made my decision for how I was going to do my turkey

I've done several hundred fried and smoked. I inject with creole butter and "rub" with Cajun Shake for both methods.

Did a 34 pounder on the smoker last year. We brined for a day and a half then smoked, it was great but a lot of work. I have also injected but I don't think they come out quite as moist as if you brine.
Just my 2 cents worth.

I brine my turkeys. They always come out great! Just use an ice chest and a couple big turkey bags. Put the brine and turkey in the bag, seal it, put another bag over it, throw in the ice chest and pust some ice on top. I brine for about 24 hours or so.

Three words..."Kosmo's Chicken Soak"...da bomb on turkey! :thumb:

I brine my turkeys. They always come out great! Just use an ice chest and a couple big turkey bags. Put the brine and turkey in the bag, seal it, put another bag over it, throw in the ice chest and pust some ice on top. I brine for about 24 hours or so.

I'm hardcore, have a second fridge in the garage just for brining! :bow::bow:
But still use round igloo with oven bags inside.

I would make sure the turkey wasn't already injected with a solution already. Quite a few turkeys are already enhanced just like ribs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done both. I like the results I get with either method. That being said, I find that injecting is my choice when I want to do things faster and when I have ample time I like to brine.

I'm new to the smoking world and when someone told me to brine..I said "What?" Now... all my birds are brined and on occasion I've also done an injection on top of it. I've cooked about a dozen birds this past year and everyone has enjoyed it and it is always moist whether I inject or not. I'm just loving the smoker. And All of you have helped me out one way or another.:clap2:

I've done several hundred fried and smoked. I inject with creole butter and "rub" with Cajun Shake for both methods.

Well I have not done hundreds but this is my method of choice also. I'll probably do 2 birds one fried and one smoked.

Back