Rate my chix color.

txschutte

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I got the bite thru skin, I can trim to same size, just need help with the color.

These first thighs have a slightly thinner consistency sauce. A bit "vinigary" in flavor, but the best finish IMO.

001-11.jpg
[/IMG]

The second is a sweeter sauce with richer color, but is thicker and much more difficult to get even..

002-13.jpg
[/IMG]

Which would you prefer in appearance as a judge??

You should probably go read Big Mista's thread on chitty chicken.

Just sayin.

#1 looks better overall, but, is not shiny

#2 is shiny, but, the brushstrokes really detract

They both seem a little pale to me, I like more of a mahogany. And yes, I had a CBJ tell me my chicken was not shiny enough.

I agree with the shiny part. The brush strokes are due to not using my comp brush. Known factor. Mahogany color? I always have strived for a red "candied" color. What's correct?

#1 looks better by far. Try a different sauce on #2 or take another pic with your comp brush - IMO the sauce isn't consistent enough to compare.

I personally like #2, #1 looks dry to me... I also like to shoot for a just a tad bit darker...

I like the piece that is just showing in the bottom right corner of pic #1.

Tiger sauce gives a good color try some experimenting with it.
I like dunking the chicken and letting the smoker set the sauce so you don't see brush strokes.
Also you can spitz with apple juice, mountain dew or something at the end to give it a little shine.

Yakimachickensmall.jpg

I like #1 by a mile! Maybe a quick spritz with AJ just before you close the box to give it a shine.

Funny thing about judges; some prefer shiny, some dont. To me (CBJ), it can actually
be too shiny and look fake, which to me is a turn-off. Some shine is helpful.

To the color, again it's a preference thing. I dont mind the lighter colored redish vs.
darker mahogany colored chickens, but to me the yellower the color it starts to be a
turn-off. Again, it's a personal thing. I liked the color, but thinking critically it would
look better more consistently colored.

Back