View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #9388
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy497 View Post
Y'all expertise needed. After many nights of reading this forum, I finally finished my mini uds. I fired it up to season it, but it's holding the temp at about 360. I have 3 3/4 intakes and 1 3/4 inches ball valve, i closed the ball valve and covered two of the intake holes and also almost closed the top holes on the weber lid, but it's still at 360. Any suggestions? I have two thermometers one at the grate level and one in the lid holes, both reading the same temp.
First thing that comes to mind since you didn't mention it, is how many lit briquettes are you starting with? In a mini, I'd only start with 6-8 fully lit briqs, then catch the temps on the rise. When it hits 200, close off all caps, and leave the valve open. When it gets close to target temp, start choking down the valve to stabilize. You are using minion method right?

It's always better starting off with fewer coals, and catching temp on the way up, instead of overshooting, then fighting to get temp lower.

Another tip, and I'm just guessing here because you gave zero info on how you are setting up your fire basket. Bury your wood chunks in the unlit coals, as opposed to placing them on top of coals. This way, they don't immediately burn out, but steadily burn throughout the cook.

Also, with a UDS style cooker, you always want to leave the exhaust wide open, and control temps with the intake. It's not an egg or an akorn.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote