View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 10:44 AM   #41
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineMaster View Post
Let me know how the burn goes using lump Ryan.
I am a stubborn sucker so I just had to test lump one more time using some of the tips you and Josh provided me! I am pleased to report that the temp has been holding steady at 275 for 2+ hours and temps from bottom rack to top rack are within a few degrees.

Here is what I did, with no water pan since I prefer to cook without water.

* 1/2 Chimney of lit lump poured onto a grate sitting on a 2" sided pan, then placed in the firebox.

* Turn Guru on and set at 275 with damper wide open, let it warm all the metal up and come to temp.

* Get coal basket ready for a horse shoe burn, Josh and Dan both mentioned that less is better with how full you fill the basket. The basket is 6" deep and I filled it maybe 3" full. Leave a small spot to put in some of the lit lump, about the size of a fist is adequate space.

* Once your cooker is up to temp, pull the lit lump out and put about a fistful of it in the space you left in your coal basket. Put basket in the firebox and choke down your guru damper to about 50%.

* I am just doing a test burn today so I am not cooking anything; therefore, I ended up settling with my damper at 25% open, but I bet if I had some meat in there I would be running at 50%.

* I am going to let it go until the temps start to drop, I will report back with a burn time for lump at 275.

Side note - I am not sure if all Guru's are like this but after getting up to temp, I have to unplug my unit and restart it or it continues to blow and over stokes the fire.

The Beast: 500 Gallon Homemade Reverse Flow
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187401[/url]
Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2
speers90 is offline   Reply With Quote