• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

UDS Build - My weber lid fits without modification?

I would try the weed burner first since you have one. It worked like a champ on my second one (first I burned with lumber = PITA). Weedburner, light soapy scrub with 3M pads and washed was way easier. Also takes care of the paint on the outside.

I am going to hit it with the weed burner just to see what happens. If it just falls off I may go that route. But I called a sand blasting place and he said sure no problem, building a smoker? haha guess its not a secret anymore. Said $25, done a bunch. paid $15 for the drum so probably be worth it huh?

I am going to hit it with the weed burner just to see what happens. If it just falls off I may go that route. But I called a sand blasting place and he said sure no problem, building a smoker? haha guess its not a secret anymore. Said $25, done a bunch. paid $15 for the drum so probably be worth it huh?

$25 is by far the best price I've ever heard of. I generally see people on this site saying $40-60. I'd jump on that!

The barrels with all the ridges like the one you have pictured are smaller and not as heavy duty as the ones without. They will fit the Weber lid without modification.

You just got lucky is all, no two barrels are alike... well unless they're from the same manufacturer.

Personally I'd use the original lid from the barrel. It's made to fit, and like others said with the Weber lid you'll likely have grease and smoke splooge dripping down the outside of your drum. You won't get that with the lid because the lip fits the inside. If you're concerned about less headroom with the flat lid rest assured, if you put your rack 7-8" down you'll be able to fit a turkey in there laying flat.

There is also debate about different cooking characteristics, dome vs. flat lid, but that's a whole 'nuther thread. Mine cooks AWESOME with a flat lid and short chimney pipe.

Good luck either way. UDS's are the best!

25 bucks is a good price, i'd jump. considering depending on your loc and price of propane, it might only be a few bucks more for blasting.

Well, now I have another decision. I was looking through my notes and completely forgot about a local place that sells reconditioned drums. I called them and for an unlined (but outside painted) drum and lid its $23. For a bare unlined and unpainted drum its $13 with lid.

I know my weber lid probably wouldnt fit anymore like it does the one I have now, paying $25 for sandblasting and already $15 in the current barrel, I should probably re-sell it and get the one ready to use and save money in the end.

@ J-rod - The main reason for the weber lid is having 2 grates. I am planning to make the drum lid and weber lid usable for the smoker. When I need 2 shelves use weber, all other times use drum lid. I will just see how it goes with the weber lid, if I dont like it I wont use it, nothing lost there it was free.

Well, now I have another decision. I was looking through my notes and completely forgot about a local place that sells reconditioned drums. I called them and for an unlined (but outside painted) drum and lid its $23. For a bare unlined and unpainted drum its $13 with lid.

I know my weber lid probably wouldnt fit anymore like it does the one I have now, paying $25 for sandblasting and already $15 in the current barrel, I should probably re-sell it and get the one ready to use and save money in the end.

@ J-rod - The main reason for the weber lid is having 2 grates. I am planning to make the drum lid and weber lid usable for the smoker. When I need 2 shelves use weber, all other times use drum lid. I will just see how it goes with the weber lid, if I dont like it I wont use it, nothing lost there it was free.

Far out. FWIW there is still enough room in there for a second rack with a flat lid. I added one last year for those big cooks. Either way you'll love the UDS.

DEFINITELY go with the bare metal drum- for 25 bucks? Hell yeah. Removing liners is a pain in the ass!!!

Be sure to post pics when you're finished. We've all seen a million UDS's, but no two are identical!

My Weber lid fit like a glove on my 30-gallon drum, which I believe is a standard size.

Back