• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Started my "Northwoods Amateur" build tonight (BWS Pro Clone)

Charcoal box complete.

IMG_4129-vi.jpg

IMG_4130-vi.jpg

Inner dimensions are 21"x21"x6". So far my biggest disappointment at myself is the size of the firebox. For some reason it's only about 9" tall so I have a few inches under the charcoal box for ashes to fall and only about 2" above the sides until the heat deflector plate. Wish I would have added another 3" or so even if it meant dropping one of the shelves in the smoke chamber.

IMG_4131-vi.jpg

Nice rack(s) if I do say so myself! :grin:

Got enough expanded to do another 4 if I wanted but ran out of angle iron after 4. Definitely will be getting some more and making at least 1, probably 2 more racks..... maybe 3.

IMG_4132-vi.jpg

IMG_4133-vi.jpg

Racks look fantastic! I have a little angle that you are free to have, but probably only enough for 1 shelf.

Wow, really nice job. I just read this thread for the first time. I can't believe that you never welded before you started this project. You've become an expert. I'm proud for you. Good stuff.

Racks look fantastic! I have a little angle that you are free to have, but probably only enough for 1 shelf.

I got enough right now for 2 sides of a shelf. If I go buy another 20 footer then I would have enough for three shelves. Going to see if I need any for anything else and then go from there. Five would get the job done but it would be cool to be able to fully load it up in case I need to do a load of ribs and/or chicken. Thinking about 28 racks of spares or baby backs would probably fit at once.

So I was thinking that once I get the door seal on my doors I'm going to take some big heavy duty tie down ratchet straps and put them around my smoker and put the doors in place and then ratchet them down tight. That should get me a nice seal and then give me the ability to weld the hinges in place with good tension on the door seal. Then on the other side I can put my latches and get them nice and tight as well. Once I get the hinges and latches in place just remove the straps and I should be good to go.

Should work shouldn't it?

Another way would be to lay it down on it's back and set the door on.

That was my original plan but I want to get good compression of the door seal so I'm thinking the extra force from the strap might be a good idea. Just hoping I didn't overlook any negatives.

Lay the straps on the floor, then lay the door on the straps. That way if you don't get enough compression you can tighten it down a little bit.

I would be concerned that you could actually get to much compression and then have a hard time latching it when the straps are off. If you compress the hinge side to much then when the straps are off, the door will want to pop open, making it difficult to get it closed and latched. My point being, I think it might be better to use as little force as possible to get the compression that you are looking for and then weld your hinge and latches on.

Been a while since I had enough progress to show an update but got a bit more time lately and am real close to finishing her up.

Outer skin all welded on

IMG_4147-vi.jpg

Intake pipe for the Stoker

IMG_4148-vi.jpg

Exhaust holes drilled

IMG_4149-vi.jpg

Looking like a smoker. Should be enough room..

IMG_4151-vi.jpg

Hopefully doors on by the weekend and a test/seasoning burn soon. Need to get the water pan built and some paint on it, thinking of going with truck bed liner for paint.

Pretty cool looks like a lot of work .......

Still lookin' good! Keep up the good work. I've been followin' this one from the beginning!

Thanks guys. It has been a lot of work, probably more than I anticipated, but well worth it. I hope it cooks as well as the commercially available ones because it will be so much more satisfying having built it myself even if it doesn't look as pretty.

Looks really nice so far. I see the holes in the back for the smoke to exhaust up the smoke stack. I understand how the stoker hooks up to the pipe nipple on the side also. Maybe a stupid question but how dose the heat from the firebox get into the main chamber? I don't see any openings for that?

Looks really nice so far. I see the holes in the back for the smoke to exhaust up the smoke stack. I understand how the stoker hooks up to the pipe nipple on the side also. Maybe a stupid question but how dose the heat from the firebox get into the main chamber? I don't see any openings for that?

It comes up through the walls. Each wall has 3 layers to it. You have the metal that makes the inside of the smoking cabinet, then a 1" air gap, another piece of sheet metal, 1" of insulation, then the outer skin. The inner metal stops a couple inches short of the top so the smoke/heat travels up the walls, comes out the top, has to drop down to the holes in the bottom, up and out.

Back