Smoked Banana Peppers?

P

patd7260

I have a ton of banana peppers in my garden and am not sure what to do with them. Anyone have any suggestions on recipes or techniques for how to use these beauties?
Thanks!

I have a ton of banana peppers in my garden and am not sure what to do with them. Anyone have any suggestions on recipes or techniques for how to use these beauties?
Thanks!

Big arse ABT. Stuffed with whatever. I just tried google and there are a few recipes. Whatever you do whem you make them gotta show the pics.... Good luck were all counting on you...

I don't grow them but I do eat them. You could do a couple of things.

Try pickleing some and smoke some.

They are kind of a thin walled pepper so smoking them should be pretty good. At the least, cut the tops off and then smoke them to get some smoke and air into the pepper. You can also split them and smoke the halves. If you go this route, you may as well clean out the seeds as they will get sour over time.

I smoke peppers and really enjoy them. I use fruit woods as I like the contrast. I generally smoke them for two hours at 225 degrees. Then, I dehydrate them. Once dehydrated, I grind them into a powder and use it just like salt or any other spice for foods. If you don't clean out the seeds, you can always sift them once they're ground. I use a coffee grinder as an FYI.

It works great on pizzas, soups, chili, eggs, etc. You're only limited by your imagination.

Here's the 3 stages for the peppers I grow:

2007.jpg

I cut the top off and strip out the seeds, etc, then stuff with cheese--Gouda, cheddar, Havarti, whatever, then wrap with bacon and grill till the bacon is done. Works for me.

Cut a slit- lengthwise and remove seeds, Stuff with Jimmy Dean hot sausage.Dip 'em in a thick beer batter and deep fry.

You could make pepper filets. They're great on hamburgers. Here's how I do it with poblano's:

1. blister the skin over coals or flame.
2. put in a plastic bag to stem a while and cool off
3. split them open and peel of the skin and remove seeds.

If you dip them in a pot of water, it helps as an optional final cleaning step.

Nice job Abelman. Simple,straightforward tutorial. Even a dummy like me could pull that one off. Ever do it with Aneheims or Poblanos?

Paul

Nice job Abelman. Simple,straightforward tutorial. Even a dummy like me could pull that one off. Ever do it with Aneheims or Poblanos?

Paul

Thanks, to be honest, I haven't tried smoking those peppers. The biggest issue is the thicker the walls of the peppers, the harder they are to grind into powder.

I really like the thin walled peppers with a lot of heat.

I think with your peppers, roasting them is the way to go and they are delicious!!

Thanks, to be honest, I haven't tried smoking those peppers. The biggest issue is the thicker the walls of the peppers, the harder they are to grind into powder.

I really like the thin walled peppers with a lot of heat.

I think with your peppers, roasting them is the way to go and they are delicious!!

Small coffee grinder works great. Get it with a pulse on demand feature. Easy Peasy....

i have big jim peppers and i stuff them with italian sausage abd sharp chedder smoke for about 2 hours right next to the meat

Back