My Fast (High Heat) Brisket Cook

GridironGriller

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Got the brisket on a little before noon. Already up to about 150* with the UDS running about 315* - 335*.

A simple rub of salt, pepper, garlic and onion powders and some smoked paprika. Started juts over 6lbs...trimmed off some of the thick/hard fat.

Also making some stuffed fatty bites (?). Took a cube of pepper jack cheese, encased in sausage, then wrapped in bacon. They are smoking on the Weber right now.

Well, here are so pics to this point. I'll get some more when I wrap.
Click for full size.

Just wrapped the brisket with some beef broth. Not a great pic, but you get the idea.

I've learned that pig candy is amazing.

Tried one of the fattie bites. Tasting good...good let the rest hand out on the Weber a little longer.

Brought the heat down to about 275* now that it is wrapped. Wanting to give it some extra time for it to get tender. It's at 194* right now....probably put it in the cooler around 205*. It's been on right at 3 hours.

All I can say is 'WOW!' I couldn't be much more pleased with the final product. Juicy and tender...could have had a little more smoke, but I'm not going to complain.

Here's the final pron!

Just got back from Tunica, We could have stopped by!!!!
Great looking food.

I'm going to try my second fast cook brisket next weekend. My only complaint on the first was the lack of smoke flavor, it was there, but not as intense as I like it. Next time I am going to 225 degrees for about 3 hours, then crank it up and finish up on high heat. Should still be done in about 7 hours, but hopefully with more smoke. We shall see.
Nice work, yours looks great!

Throw lots of smoke at it at the start, I done lots of high heat 400/450 and the flavor totaly different, but yes light on smoke flavor, this is the only time I use white hickory (very intnse smoke flavor)...also go light on the triming, as the outside gets dry compared to normal 225*..but I dnot foil and the juice just squirts at ya when slicing! Use turbinado sugar on the outside to protect it.

I did my first HHB last Memorial Day...it turned out great! :p Yours looks just as good...:biggrin:

IMG_7131.jpg

Wow.. I hope mine turns as good as this, but im doing mine slow and low for 12hrs. Its been a few years since I smoked one.

No pron - didn't happen but if it did............... Smoked my first high heat Brisket on fathers day, will never go back to low and slow - amazing tenderness, taste, and juicy!! and this was just a flat! Thought my other brisket cooks were good but no comparison.

I R Convinced!

All I can say is 'WOW!' I couldn't be much more pleased with the final product. Juicy and tender...could have had a little more smoke, but I'm not going to complain.

My first one was light on smoke flavor as well.

Next time, try putting the meat in straight from the fridge, and bring the temp up slowly to the 340-360 range (about 45 minutes to temp) Seems to get a much better smoke flavor, as well as smoke ring.

I'm not sure if this is scientifically correct, but I'm guessing that the higher temp sort of sears shut the meats ability to absorb more flavor? So some heavier smoke at the start seems to do the trick!

My first one was light on smoke flavor as well.

Next time, try putting the meat in straight from the fridge, and bring the temp up slowly to the 340-360 range (about 45 minutes to temp) Seems to get a much better smoke flavor, as well as smoke ring.

I'm not sure if this is scientifically correct, but I'm guessing that the higher temp sort of sears shut the meats ability to absorb more flavor? So some heavier smoke at the start seems to do the trick!

Great minds think alike! That was the plan for the next one. Thanks!

Back