Attention Connoisseurs of pulled pork on Kings Hawaiian "BEHOLD"

Will work for bbq

Babbling Farker
First off I hope everyone had a great easter weekend. We had friends and family over for dinner and as usual pulled pork was requested, so I figured an intervention was in order. Butts were injected with a Modified Chris Lilly mix and my personal rub mix.

intervention2.jpg

onlikedonkykong.jpg

While the intervention was happening in the WSM we partook in some MOINK balls seasoned with SM sweet and spicy and glazed with Big Butz Cranberry.

moinkheaven.jpg

There was also grilled chicken breast on the gasser and a baked ham, which we forgot all about.
Now to the point of this thread, a while ago there was a thread on what bread was preferred for pulled pork sammies http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102573. Allot of people suggested Kings Hawaiian, which I've never tried but felt they were too small. So I started thinking (which can't be good). Kings Hawaiian is just Portuguese sweet bread (Massa Sovada) and we normally order some around the holidays, so I had Mrs Will Work check with the bakery on what sizes they have and ended up with this.

MasaSovada.jpg

And a side by side with the Kings Hawaiian.

sidebyside.jpg

Same color and texture.

splitsammies.jpg

Just more of a good thing.

Sammie.jpg

Taste the same IMO just more of a good thing they also have another size which is in between the two rolls in the pictures, thanks for looking

Beautiful! Curious though since I've not done it yet but why the injection on the butt? Flavor? Texture? The results do look most impressive and I'd hit that sammich in a heartbeat.:thumb::thumb:

That there looks like some fantastic pulled pork and delicious MOINKS! Love the experimenting with the bread. Always end up just getting what's on sale, makes me think that I need to start spending more time considering it in the future. Thanks for the commentary. :thumb:

Beautiful! Curious though since I've not done it yet but why the injection on the butt? Flavor? Texture? The results do look most impressive and I'd hit that sammich in a heartbeat.:thumb::thumb:

It just adds some flavor to the meet deep inside the butt, where it normally doesn't get much smoke penetration. I never injected butts the first year or so I did them, but once I did I inject everyone now.

Nice groceries, Bro!
Thanks, I'm really digging your spices I use them either by themselves, ingredient replacement or I'll use them with my marinades before going on the grill for an added layer of flavor. Instead of salt I used your season all in the injection:thumb:

Oh man I hope I can find that locally! I love me some King's Hawaiian! Sammiches look awesome!!!
If you can find a Portuguese bakery, they will have it.

I never did it at first butt the first time I did it was with a straight Chris Lilly injection and I was like wow best yet, I've been doing it ever since each time tweaking it each time as far as texture I don't think it affects it so much butt does add to the flavor.

Food looks wonderful. Great tip on the bread. Now I can eat 2 large sized instead of 6 small. :thumb:
Thats what I'm talkin' about, my niece likes to hollow the bread out some to get more meat in there

That there looks like some fantastic pulled pork and delicious MOINKS! Love the experimenting with the bread. Always end up just getting what's on sale, makes me think that I need to start spending more time considering it in the future. Thanks for the commentary. :thumb:
Thanks, I really dug your cranberry sauce on the MOINK's:thumb:

Love the bread find. Food looks great! I do pork butt's frequently so will definitely hit San Leandro and get some of those .
It's hit or miss if you don't order it in advance, next time there is a bash I'll bring some.
That's what I was going to suggest. Then take the extra bread and cut it into 1/2" size quarters, season, and lightly toast. They make great salad croutons. :thumb:
Oh yeah, when we get the big loaves we'll slice it for toast it or make French toast.:-D

Pork looks great! Are those buns the sweet ones? I have seen the smaller Kings Hawaiian at the local grocery. If these are the same, they are very good, I will try some on the next PP I do.

King's offers the full size buns here at our local Kroger.I'm sure the bakery ones were fresher/better.
They were fresh just baked on Saturday morning, that would be great if you could get larger Kings Hawaiian in regular stores.
{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1622177 said:
Pork looks great! Are those buns the sweet ones? I have seen the smaller Kings Hawaiian at the local grocery. If these are the same, they are very good, I will try some on the next PP I do.
Thanks, they are the sweet ones same flavor as Kings.

Back