View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #13
NCGuy68
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbird View Post
It went at 11pm last night at 220F.

The mushrooms were not going in or on, or even around the Hush puppies, will look for than brand of stuff next time I shop.

IT on the pork is 160 right now, sprayed it with 1/8 cup maggi, 1/8 cup lee and perrins original thick, 1/4 cup water, 1/2 cup apple juice, just a spritz not the whole cup :-). Ended up not foiling or wrapping, sure looks nice :-).

The maggi seasoning and the Shiitake mushrooms are Umami...did a brisket that way that was very good.

Many of my friends on another forum who smoke meat always use the mustard before the rub...so when I saw a recipe with it in there figured I would give it a try.
You're on the right path Bill, but I'd ditch the lee & perrins and stick with the apple juice only.

Years ago, I learned how to Q by watching 'Ole southern black gentlemen work their magic. Darn near everyone of them slathered 'whatever' with plain yellow mustard and then apply rubs, spices, etc.

If you're shooting for pulled pork, take that Hog to 205F internal and let it rest for 1/2 hour. If you want sliced, 185-195F will do.

If you want authenic eastern NC style Hog, splash it with a little Scott's Q sauce after its pulled. Its vinegar based, a little hot and tangy so go easy with it. I know some yankees don't like vinegar based but us Rednecks love it!.......www.scottsbarbecuesauce.com and 1-800-734-sauce.

Welp, its time for me to fire the pit and get ready to smoke a couple really nice Hog tenderloins that my friend Ned, the Hog farmer, layed on me.

Enjoy.....

Thanks from:--->