Second attempt!!! Landabyte ribs

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Or would it be Bigadarc ribs???

Anyway there are two Brethren creations that I have been wanting to try for a while, but it took me a while to find the ingredients.

One of them is Bigabyte's now famous "Foil Hat Rub"http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103989

The other is Landarc's unique "Pig Honey"

Pig Honey Sauce
1 cup apple juice
1/4 cup Red Boat Fish Sauce
1/4 cup Braggs Amino Acids
1/8 cup Honey
1 Tablespoon turbinado sugar

What will happen when the brainstorms of these two collide? Well hopefully I will survive this endeavor without explosions or anything like that.

So I mixed up the two and proceeded with this plan.

uploadfromtaptalk1340677331425.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1340677400554.jpg

Started by coating two slabs of St Louis cut spares with the Foil Hat.

uploadfromtaptalk1340677431190.jpg

Got the kettle setup with my own personal indirect setup.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124846

Then put them on and let the Kettle do what it wants.

uploadfromtaptalk1340677464525.jpg

Here they are three hours later, and then a minute later after the first spritzing of Pig Honey.

uploadfromtaptalk1340677489338.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1340677536847.jpg

What will happen next as these two creations attempt to coexist in smoky, porky harmony? :D

Ok now that I have the pic posting figured out again.....

Here they are after another hour and a half and three more spritzes with the Pig Honey

uploadfromtaptalk1340677908723.jpg

Here they are done and resting.

uploadfromtaptalk1340677954513.jpg

And Served!

uploadfromtaptalk1340678022613.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1340678044809.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1340678067748.jpg

So as a rest of the experiment, nothing exploded, nobody was killed or injured as a result of this combination of techniques.

How were the ribs? Well they were really great! I was worried about a possible Umami overload with some of the ingredients in each, but these ribs came out really balanced. I did double up on the amount of sweetener in the Pig Honey per Landarc's suggestion to make it glaze a little better.

Thanks to both gentlemen for sharing your recipes, and answering all the questions that I PM'd each of you with regarding ingredients!

See! West and Midwest can get along! :p

Nice job! They do look as good as they smelled on the first post!!!!!!!

WTH, why do yours look better than mine? I bet it is that rub.

Nice cook, glad you liked the recipe.

So, is the original thread gone? The one where we all blamed bigabyte?

Oh, well. The ribs do look good. I do have to wonder about the long-term effects of eating food with bigabyte's rub and landarc's sauce. I suppose, if you don't eat too much of it in any given 12 month period, you might not grow a beak or start craving longpork.

CD

I do have to say that I was skeptical about both the rub when I tasted it before application. The rub tasted and smelled a little odd, but I went with popular opinion, and I have to say, that once cooked, this may be the most balanced rub that I have tasted.

I am of the belief that Bigabyte should post the studies again, that lead to the creation of the Foil Hat Rub. It would lessen the doubts about the rub and how it came to be.

I think I will be making some Pig Honey, those look great!

As for how I came to make my rub...

I just threw a bunch of chit together!:becky:

Beautiful bones. But they appeared to be done at the 3 hour mark before all the voodoo! :caked:

J/K, I'd of eaten all of them without blinking.

Beautiful bones. But they appeared to be done at the 3 hour mark before all the voodoo! :caked:

J/K, I'd of eaten all of them without blinking.

They actually were pretty close to done at that point. I knew that the people eating them don't care that much for what most of us consider the perfect rib. They like em closer to falling apart.

Day After: While the ribs were quite delicious, I am second guessing the experiment. Today I am having trouble figuring out whether I want to be open minded and hear the opinions of others, or just grab my guns and go shoot stuff.

I can't help thinking its the ribs.....

Back