need advice on cookers

W

wet hog

Having almost finished my new 250 reverse flow offset smoker, I now think that I may need something a little smaller to complement it. I'm think of either and EGG or maybe a WSM. We want to start in some compititions right after the first if the year.Also if there is anyoun that needs a suecheif under foot for the national cup.. I am the man.... just let know.Any ideas on the diffrent cookers please feel free to cover me up eith info, both good anf bad.Many thanks, Gary WET HOG CHEIF COOK ND BOTTLE WASHER.:twisted:

I have both and egg and a WSM and the WSM is so easy to transport and you can fit a lot of food on it. Not that you can't with the Egg. Again just harder to transport.

Also I could use some help this weekend, but it is in Waycross :).

I have a Lang 60D and a large BGE. We lugged the BGE to our last comp just to cook $5 worth of chicken thighs and it was a pain...probably won't do that again.

Having said that, I use my egg for everything around the house unless I'm cooking for lots of people then I fire up the Lang. I've never tried the WSM but I can't imagine anything better than my egg. My teammate just bought a Primo XL that he likes a lot and it can be had for slightly more than the large BGE.

^^^ BEEN THERE; done that. Next competition scaled down to Lang + Weber kettle. If I do chicken again I'll probably skip the extra altogether and push that tray way back to almost on top of the fire box (in the smoker) where it's hottest...

Unless you have a cargo trailer with a rear ramp door that you can push that egg around, it is a pain in the back to move that egg around. I love my egg, don't get me wrong. I just wont take it to another comp due to throwing out my back moving it around.

I have an egg that is given to me by one of our sponsors for when we cook. It cooks awesome, but like the guys above said it's a pain. I threw my back out moving it at 4am one morning doing a practice cook. Need help for sure moving that, or at least ame sure you are fully awake.:-D

i'd go with the 22.5" wsm. light, portable, efficient, modest in price and in southern climates i would think that these qualities would make up for any heat retention issues solved by the ceramic cooker.

I started a team this year and we each have completely different cookers. I have a large big green egg. I keep it in a standard wood table and empty the guts (fire ring and fire box) before it's moved. With the guts out and in a table, it's really no sweat to move for two guys. We lift it in and out of pick up truck with not much of a problem. The table provides nice sturdy gripping points. It's a two man job, but since it's on casters, we roll it to where it goes and simply lift it into and out of the pick up truck, no problem.

Having almost finished my new 250 reverse flow offset smoker, I now think that I may need something a little smaller to complement it. I'm think of either and EGG or maybe a WSM. We want to start in some compititions right after the first if the year.Also if there is anyoun that needs a suecheif under foot for the national cup.. I am the man.... just let know.Any ideas on the diffrent cookers please feel free to cover me up eith info, both good anf bad.Many thanks, Gary WET HOG CHEIF COOK ND BOTTLE WASHER.:twisted:

I don't compete (yet), but if I did, I think a nice sized offset like Lang 60 or 84 for the big cuts, and a Weber kettle for chicken and feeding the crew.

Can't beat a weber kettle. We have two and use both. Just sold our Lang 108 for something smaller. Purchased a spicewine and love the cooker.

Back