First thread

R

Rick T

Just wanted to get started on posting. Thanks for looking. Have been admiring and drueling a lot looking at all the great work you all do. My photos are not good.

This is A flank steak, marinaded in a Carne Asada concoction. I cooked it in the dark, so it ended up more on the Medium side, but was still good. It was used in Fajiatas.
BBQintrophotos009.jpg

This was the Thanks giving smoked turkey. Cooked at around 275. I It is a thirteen pound bird and went fast. Good thing we had the 22 pounder in the oven. Had a seperate fire going in the fire pit so I could use fresh wood coals through the Roast/smoke. (Can't keep temps in this thing. It is an offset from Home Depot. It did have a nice smoke ring 3/8" in and was juicy. I had a single layer of charcoal under the bird with a water pan with onions apples and seasonings on the charcoal. There were seasonings, apples and onions in the cavity to help keep it moist. Also basted with a maple, Irish whiskey glaze. (Hoper fully I will get better at photos.
BBQintrophotos.jpg

I'd say you're off to a great start Rick!:thumb::thumb:

Welcome, Food looks great. Could you explain your cooking method for the turkey. Layer of coals under the turkey in an offset sounds confusing. Just wondering.

Nice first post, good looking food there

Welcome, Food looks great. Could you explain your cooking method for the turkey. Layer of coals under the turkey in an offset sounds confusing. Just wondering.

You are right that is confusing.:icon_blush:

Wood coals and some charcoal in the off set fire box.
A layer of coals under the rack on the bottom of the smoke box/grill. It has a secondary pan/rack. Then the shallow pan with the seasoned water and stuff. The Turkey was about 8" or so over the single layer of Charcoal coals. (I don't really know if it helped but my reason was to try to stabalize the temp in the smoke box.

Christmas Eve will be doing a Seafood/lobster stew and four racks of ribs.
New Years will be a Prime Rib I think, I would like to try a brisket but I have a hard time keeping up temps especially when it is 6 degrees.

I need a new smoker/grill. Mine has more holes than my underwear.:wink:
Thanks all.

Looks great from here too Rick. Welcome to the forum!

Back