• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Retaining creaminess in chafing dishes / hot hold

SmoothBoarBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hey All,

I've noticed that when I do hot sides for my lunch service they tend to dry out a bit in the chafing dish. Specifically Mac and Cheese, and Potato Surprise (creamy mashed potato dish). They are perfectly cream when I put them in the chafing dish, but after ~30 minutes of lunch service they start to dry out pretty quickly.

I've started making these dishes extra creamy to help the problem, but it seems like they still dry out pretty quickly. Outside of adding milk during service is there anything else I could do to help with the issue?

For the mac & cheese we just started making smaller amounts. I boil the same amount of mac noodles but only make a 1/4 batch. When it gets below half I start heating the cream and melting the cheese for another 1/4 batch. It also cuts down on waste.

**Edit**

That's on the food trailer of course. For catering we just make it extra creamy and only use one sterno heater instead of two.

Thanks guys, much appreciated. It's always just habit that I use (2) sternos per chafing dish, but I'll try just using one and see how well that works. I will also give the smaller batches a shot...make sense.

I add milk into the Mac when it stiffens up and it's always worked great for me

I add milk into the Mac when it stiffens up and it's always worked great for me

This, and butter. Same with scalloped potatoes. For Beans, you can just add more water to them. Most all sides I cut the previous days leftovers with the fresh batch, and have had good results.

Are you wrapping the pans with plastic and or foil? It helps to wrap them and peel it back as needed as the pan gets empty from service.

Small batches and not over heating are both great ideas. You can keep them covered until its time to change out the dish. You could try adding a couple Tablespoons of mayonnaise too when you make it. I do this when I make mac and cheese and it doesn't affect the flavor at all.

Use a water pan with your chaffing dish setup and drying out won't be a problem.

We started using the plastic liners for chafing pans. Wether we are using steel pans of disposable pans. Everything retains more moisture. Use them for everything except beans.

Back