Toffee w/PRON

sliding_billy

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
No outdoor cooking this weekend (I was bummed until we started getting that rarest of rare things in TX - a good down poor). Anyways, my wife is out of town for a few days, so I made the kids some toffee last night and set it up overnight. We just had the first few bites this afternoon. You have to love any food that pretty much is made up of sugar and butter w/chocolate. :icon_smile_tongue:

Attachments

• IMG_0934.jpg
    IMG_0934.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0937.jpg
    IMG_0937.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 127
In my BBQ defense, I do have a freezer pack of brisket point ready for dinner.

That looks amazing - I've never tried making toffee, or even thought about it, but it's most definitely on the radar now. :hungry:

Combining Two Threads

That looks amazing - I've never tried making toffee, or even thought about it, but it's most definitely on the radar now. :hungry:

I really like the toffee, looks creamy!

It would be interesting to top it with some of GTR's chopped Hot Nuts.

Pretty basic toffee recipe... There are plenty of more complex ones out there. I have tried a lot but this is my quick and easy go-to method.

1 1/6 Cups Sugar (regular old sugar will do just fine but I personally like to use superfine)
1 Cup Salted Butter (Land o' Lakes of course)
1/8 Cup plus 1 Tablespoon Water
1 Tablespoon Light Corn Syrup
3/4 Cup Milk Chocolate Chips (Ghirardelli is my personal preference)

Butter a 7X11 pan. Combine all ingredients except chocolate chips in a heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until butter is melted.

Reduce to medium-low heat. Continue cooking, stirring regularly until 300 degrees or small amount of mix dropped into cold water forms hard brittle strands (I have to admit that measuring the temp of toffee is a PITA after about 250 especially with this small of a batch. I don't really use the thermometer or the water drop method. I can just tell from the color and thickness when it is done having cooked it so many times. It normally takes about 45 minutes of medium-low cooking. The coffee color and smell of toffee when it is done cooking are as unmistakable as probe tender brisket. :-D

Pour into pan and spread to even thickness. Sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over mixture and let stand for about 3 minutes. Spread melted chocolate over mixture. If you want to sprinkle some nuts on, now is when you will want to do it. Let cool at room temperature for 3 hours then wrap pan with plastic. I like to let it sit at room temp for another few hours and then refrigerate, but you can refrigerate now if you need to. Refrigerating is important IMO to let the chocolate set up nicely and help the toffee harden a little bit more. After at least 6 hours in the refrigerator, break apart (I just jab it with a chef's knife). Store in an airtight container/zip-lock in a cool dry place or in the refrigerator (my preference living in TX).

*Tip* As predictable as a brisket stalling is your oil separating while cooking toffee. Don't freak out. Add a tablespoon of warm water and stir vigorously. If it hasn't recombined yet, add another and continue to stir vigorously until it does.

Looks awesome. Bet it would be good smashed up and put on some ice cream as well!

Back